Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my basset-lab puppy Banjo (only 1/4 lab) for a little less than two months now and most things are going well except for leash walking. He is very stubborn/scared on walks and getting him to expend his energy has proven to be very challenging.

I have started to try running short, 50 metre distances with him on lead but when I do he will aggressively try to bite my legs/pants and when I stop he will jump up, growl, and continue trying to bite my pants. It all feels very aggressive to me but he hasn't bared his teeth at me or broken skin so I can't tell if he is trying to play, tell me he is tired or is actually showing aggressive tendencies.

Please let me know if you have any advice on this issue or leash walking in general.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sadly we have a strict no running around puppies rule at our house, because it does seem to get them worked up. Have you considered daycare? Ours is now going 2x a week, 4 hours per visit, and it has been a God-send, at least until the weather gets better around here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We also have a dog teaser - basically a stick with a rope and a toy attached. It is a great way to wear your puppy out! Even with daycare and the teaser, the puppy still has lots of energy, but definitely an easier dude to be around :)

I would also consider spending the money on some private sessions with a great trainer (recommended and good reviews). They can meet your pup and go over your schedule and specific questions - maybe he isn't sleeping enough or left alone too long or is fearful and needs to slowly be exposed to new and more things. I know that isn't free, but it's a great way to get some personal guidance on how to nip some problems in the butt right now (or find out that they aren't really problems, just your pup being a pup!).

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
"Chasing your moving feet and biting ankles and pantslegs is a 100% natural dog behavior! But it's not much fun for you. Let's apply the four steps of problem-solving to find a solution: "

fwiw at that age we do very little on leash. They will follow where you go reinforce that first in an enclosed space. then you can add the leash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts