Basset Hounds Forum banner

Basset or Beagle/Hound?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Floppy 
#1 ·
We've got the lovely (3 months old) Emily. We were told she is a full bred basset hound, both parents bassets, but not KC registered. Managed only to see her mum. Was wondering what are your thoughts on whether it is a basset hound or a mix?

Many thanks :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have the paperwork, from the official Kennel Club of her country of birth, fine, but if not she could be anything although in my opinion, she would pass as a Basset. Unfortunately, with respect, not a top quality representative of the breed. There is usually a reason why puppies/parents? are not KC Registered. For me, she is rather 'on the leg', her ear-set a little high and ears not 'fine and inward curling, and although the head of a bitch is usually a little less wrinkled and without quite as deep a lip as a good 'un, this could be seen as a 'fault' too. BUT as long as you love her, do her failings really matter? As long as you don't breed from her and get her spayed in due course :p

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply and the answer. It was just out of curiosity, as we are first time dog owners and even though we read 100x not to get a puppy from a not KC registered place we couldn't resist her. Also her mum (pics attached) was super lovely and we got in love with her too. Its an amazing experience to look after a dog which often times can challenging. But it all pays off at the end when you realise that it has become more than a pet.

Your pup looks super cute!!!!

Attachments

#5 ·
In my opinion, it's basset for sure. It has some special characters like this breed has. Don't be nervous about it, it's very pretty. When i was choosing my dog, it became hard for me because of the hair everywhere, I was trying to pick a good breed and maybe shorthaired. So, i googled and read so articles, by the way the best for me became just one with full informaton about it.

#7 ·
very smart and obedient are not traits I associate with a beagle they in general are more basset hound traits, I have had my fair share of beagles bassets in general are smarter ie better problem solvers and two much more bidable (willing to please) which is the biggest common trait in so called eay to train ie smart dogs,. FWIW Easy to train an intelligence often have an inverse relationship. She does have a beagles flatter rounder ears and domed head, but this can often be seen in many pet quality pure bred
basset hound as well

#8 · (Edited)
In my opinion, it's basset for sure. It has some special characters like this breed has. Don't be nervous about it, it's very pretty. When i was choosing my dog, it became hard for me because of the hair everywhere, I was trying to pick a good breed and maybe shorthaired. So, i googled and read so articles, by the way the best for me became just one with full informaton about it. All beagles shed very much,but luckily there are already options to get it under control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.