Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to have a problem with getting rid of the "hound smell" that comes with having a basset. Does anyone have any type of odor-ridding regimine that I could use to get my house back smelling fresh. I take Fred to the groomers twice a month. I've talked to other dog owners and all they say is "put him outside". Well, I don't want to do that to him. If I wanted an outside dog, I would have bought a German Shepherd or a Bloodhound. Me and my son both love our Fred/Fred and we want him to continue to live inside our home. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello--
Sounds like you're already doing a lot--with those twice a month groomer visits. But, I just had to add my "2 cents" here, because it has also been a concern of mine since "adopting" Bianca. I've been successful in getting rid of houndy smells with ARM & HAMMER Carpet & Fabric Fresh. Also, 16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide bottle with 1 T baking soda and 1 t dish detergent-- or Woolite Oxydeep. I'll really be interested, as well, to read other replies to this thread. I certainly don't want to put my furbaby outside either...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do a search and you'll find some articles. Diet seems to do a lot with it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Be careful with using carpet cleaners. They do leave behind some residue which can be irritating to dogs. Also, I've read that corn in dog food can add to their smell. I also heard bathing your hound too often will actually make the smell worse. The oil glands get a signal that they are not producing enough oil and they speed up the whole process giving more of a smell off?? Don't know if it's true but I think so. Some hounds just have that odor more than others. My Maggie Mae (ATB) didn't have it much. Rusty also doesn't have the hound odor. Stickers, on the other hand smells very strong of hound. I personally like it. When they wake up in the morning and are warm, I think it smells like what I call "Basset Toast"!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
"Basset Toast"!!! I LOVE that! I also happen to like the hound smell. In fact, I just gave Emma a bath this weekend only because the rest of the family was telling me it was "way past bath time" :) Now, I don't think she smells like herself!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As far as the house itself not smelling, here's what I do (and for the record I am NOT obsessive compulsive, I swear :) )...

I have plug in air fresheners in: living room, kitchen, hallway, office, spare room, bedroom, and both bathrooms (and sometimes in the laundry room). When I vacuum I use the carpet powder stuff (I keep the dogs out while doing this and go over the area 2 times to make sure all the powder is up). I also Febreeze (sp?) EVERYTHING that is "febreezeable". I have had comments from people saying "I thought you had dogs?" There's a girl I know who is very much NOT a pet person and she said before coming over for the first time she was "worried about the dog smell" that she thought my house would have, but of course because of all of the above things it didn't. :)

As far as the dogs themselves smelling, yeah my dogs certianly smell like hound dogs, it's a small price to pay for such great dogs.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, Patti!! I love the "Basset toast" idea. Bogie does not have a houndy smell at all. We bathe him about every two months, unless he rolls in something disgusting. We, too, have read that frequent bathing makes their oil glands go into overdrive contributing to the odor. Brushing Bogie every other day keeps him clean and the shedding hairs at bay.

We feed him Innova dry kibble. Bubba, at the bridge (ATB), did have a "frito" like odor. He was on a corn based food that may have contributed to the odor. I loved to smell him and his blanket. Each Basset is different, just like humans, but we also have read that diet may play a roll in their odor.

I would be careful with Febreeze. Do a search on it and dogs on the internet, because there are some dogs that have have problems with its use in the home. Some people use baby wipes to freshen their dogs coat between baths.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It is true that each dog is different. I have two completely different dogs. Belly is short haired and "oily" ...always smells like a barn :p . No reason for it other than he might spend a little more time outdoors. He's not dirty. Just smelly.

Dixie, on the other hand ...she's fluffy and smells fresh. I don't know how to describe it. She is 8 years old and would not need a bath unless she got into something nasty. I bath her, of course ...but her white stays white and she stays clean. Perhaps a little yeasty ear smell in the summer but no "Fritos" smell as is usually described of Bassets.

They both eat the same thing. Same treats. Good foods and treats, of course. I would be the first to say that food is the reason for most smelly Bassets. But Belly is our STINKY LITTLE BARNYARD !! :lol: :lol: :lol: It only takes about three days for me to start wrinkling my nose at him.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe smells especially 'ripe' during the hotter months, but exceptionally so when the humidity level is high (like now - you can't move without breaking a sweat :p ). And when Moe smells my furniture and rugs smell. :eek: I know the humidity is what makes it worse because the dog-smell is barely noticable when the air is dry, even if it is hot out. I bathe him every two weeks (vet's orders - he has a special shampoo that the vet thinks may help with his sebatious (sp?) cysts). After I bathe him I wash all the couch cushion covers, and spray the foam pieces and the carpets with Febreeze for Pet Odors. That keep things fresh for all of a couple days. :rolleyes: Moe's smell is something we just live with, along with his shedding, his drooling, his way of wiping his mouth and/or nose on furniture or legs, and his messy eating habit. I will miss ALL his messy habits when he is gone...

And speaking of his cysts, Moe had ANOTHER one burst a few days ago, resulting in yet another trip to the vet. He's on antibitics again. I think I personally financed part of the vet's new addition... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the house itself not smelling, here's what I do (and for the record I am NOT obsessive compulsive, I swear :) )...

I have plug in air fresheners in: living room, kitchen, hallway, office, spare room, bedroom, and both bathrooms (and sometimes in the laundry room). When I vacuum I use the carpet powder stuff (I keep the dogs out while doing this and go over the area 2 times to make sure all the powder is up). I also Febreeze (sp?) EVERYTHING that is "febreezeable". I have had comments from people saying "I thought you had dogs?" There's a girl I know who is very much NOT a pet person and she said before coming over for the first time she was "worried about the dog smell" that she thought my house would have, but of course because of all of the above things it didn't. :)

As far as the dogs themselves smelling, yeah my dogs certianly smell like hound dogs, it's a small price to pay for such great dogs.

~Heather[/b]

Thanks for your suggestion. The hound smell doesn't bother me. Fred's houndy smell is okay; I just don't want the house to have that same smell.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have owned 6 bassets in my life. I currently have no's 5 and 6 living with me now.

Here's what I have learned over the past 30 years: NO PEOPLE FOOD!!! EVER!! NONE!
Just doggie food, doggie treats. that's it. (yes they will live)

I also agree with Patti, good quality dog food, with no or low amount of corn in it. And keep the ears clean on a regular basis. My dogs get bathed twice a year, unless they really need it. Otherwise the skin dries out, can make it worse.

Bo and Moose smell wonderful, no doggie odour at all, except what's considered normal for a dog.

Hope my two cents helps!

Sandy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Add my gang to the list of those that no longer get foods that contain corn or wheat. I decided to try this a couple of years ago after reading on various lists that the houndy/doggy smell could be eliminated or significantly reduced by removing these ingredients from the diet, corn especially. A corn/wheat free diet has worked for my dogs. . . both the Bassets and the Border Terriers, who also have an oily coat.

Also, keep the ears, flews and dewlaps, and anal glands clean. Anal glands are often the main cause of "doggy" odor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I ask how much corn is too much? The fodod I use (Purina One, Lamb and Rice) lists corn as the 4th or 5th ingredient. Also, today I was in the pet store and saw a high protein no grain food. Has anyone ever used anything like this or heard anything about it?

We have a 2 year old girl named Ruby who is pretty sweet smelling. We jsut rescued a 2 year old boy named Stanely who is very smelly, despite being bathed. For what it's worth, Ruby seems to be a more petite type with a finer features and soft coat. Our rescue looks like he might have some other hound in him, huge paws, huge head, lumbering gait and his coat is very coarse. Could this be why he is more houndy smelling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
We own two Chem-Dry carpet cleaning franchises and I still have to work hard on the house smell. As for the food, we have switched from Hills Science Diet Light (mostly corn) to Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and their smell, although never really vile, has improved in just a little over a week, and their coats are so silky!

I wash every scatter rug and slipcover every Friday and use Chem-Dry Pet Odor Remover, a new product, on any accident spots on my regular carpets, and we clean them pretty often. (I always joke we have the dirtiest carpets in town! :lol: )

Nature's Magic Orange and Lime Sprays really work well too, for times when you just need a fresh spritz of something. They have real organge zest or something in them. That and Yankee Candles together will get rid of the smells fast.

But I love my stinky little men so much, they could smell like skunks and I'd find a way . . . .

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Smell? Bassets smell? :blink: I've been living with Moe so long and love him so much that I no longer notice his smell. I rely on my husband to tell me when Moe stinks so bad that he needs a bath! B) To me he's just... my sweet-smelling Moe!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Louie is a real stinky boy! I bathe him often. The vet has told me that he has to be bathed twice a week now that he has such a horrible skin condition.

Thank goodness he is very easy to bathe. I have a 5 foot shower and he just will go in there with me. I think he knows it makes him feel better.

He is so oily that on my leather couch he has left an oil stain where he lies. That's OK, I can replace the couch, but never replace Lou!

By the way, he is on Z/D diet by Hills...for ultra allergic dogs.

You know, he is from a puppy mill. The poor animal pays the price everyday. I knew better than to get a dog from a mill, but I took one look at that face and he was growing so big in that cage (I watched him for two months in there)...fighting with myself...get him, don't get him, etc. He is a gorgeous dog, and we love him so, but his immune system is just shot, I highly suspect from overbreeding. He is my $5000 dog (vet bills).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Both of my hounds smell great. Belle smells like a baby and Gunther smells like fresh cornflower. I swear.

Anyway, when we adopted Gunther from the Humane Society he had major coat issues - tons and tons of shedding, dry coat, hot spots, ear infections and giardia which translated into very loose poops. When we adopted Belle, she had drippy eyes and was otherwise healthy. They didn't smell "houndy" but not great either.

Anyway, after a ton of reading and battles with Gunther's hotspots and ears - major problem because he is very sensitive in general and doesn't like to be picked on - we switched to 100% human food and have been feeding that since January.

Hot spots went away, ear infection is gone, skin problems and shedding went away, eyes don't drip, stools are great - except every now and then. AND they love thier meals. Gunther sits by me in the kitchen while I prepare it and he is so happy to eat he spins around and around. Before, he would look at his kibble (Perscription Diet, Solid Gold, Royal Canin - all high-quality foods) and just look at me sadly.

I wanted to add this, because every dog is an individual (of course!) and will do well or not well on certain diets. There was one posting about "no human food ever" which clearly works for many, many dogs, so I just wanted to add another perspective. Of course, if my dogs didn't do well on a home-made diet, I would switch.

We feed raw chicken necks, beef, heart, liver, lamb (yesterday they each got a lamb shank), eggs, some grains (barley, millet, brown rice - we tried no grains, but the poops got loose), brocolli, green beans, apples, carrots. Their teeth are awesome.

The best part is that preparing their meals is a pleasure - I feel like a mom :) which is fun since I don't have human babies.

Good luck - there are so many good suggestions in this thread.

Susan O.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
**UPDATE**

I just wanted to post an update on the basset odor. I did a lot of what you all suggested and I found the culprit for Fred's odor. IT WAS THE FOOD. His food had Ground Corn meal in the ingredients. Although his food (Eagle Pac) did wonders for his coat and build, it was reaking havoc on his smell and bowels. (he had frequent bowel movements) I changed him to Nutro Max Natural dog food and it has done wonders. He doesn't have the "houndy smell" anymore, his stools are solid and he has less frequent bowel movements, but at the same time has a healthy shiny coat.

He really likes his new food and I just want to thank everyone for your suggestions. Since I've learned about how bad corn is for a basset hound, I make sure he stays away from corn products, even his treats.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts