Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 7 year old basset, Clyde, is acting weird lately. He will, for no explicable reason sit outside our open bedroom door (he's not allowed in our room) and whine and cry. He'll then sometimes come in and try to nestle down in our closet but the wife is not having that at all and make him leave.
This didn't start happening until about 3 weeks ago when we got back from a vacation.
He stayed with my parents, who have a different schedule than us, so I thought maybe he was getting used to going out late at night (we go to bed early).
I started letting him out RIGHT before bed and even giving him a bit of his food but that doesn't seem to help.
Taking him for a vigorous walk or run later in the day seems to help but he's never had to have a tough walk before.
Any ideas on what's going on?
Is there a health issue here? worms?

·
Registered
972 Posts
lol why would worms make him want to come into the bedroom with you? lol sorry for laughing but that's an interesting idea. I guess maybe you mean that you think he has to go to the bathroom, right? I would tend to belive that he had separation anxiety and if he's whining to get in with you guys, and then finding a safe place to nestle down (is the closet in the room? maybe he thinks he's not really IN the room with you, where he shouldn't be, but just wants to be near you guys).
Anyway, sounds to me like he just wants the rules to be suspended and to be with his pack. Bassets are very social and usually do not like to be away from the pack!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How long were you on vacation? What is the longest you were ever separated from Clyde?

My first thought is separation anxiety. I can see why your wife wouldn't want Clyde in the closet, but how about putting a dog bed in the room with you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vacation was only a week. We've been apart from him before for that long and no problems like this.
A couple updates: He's been eating his stool. He'll poop it out and pretty much turn around and have a snack. I put a post up on why he's doing that here http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/13006-clydes-eating-his-stool.html
Also, the wife and I apparently came back from the vacation pregnant. I've been theorizing to the wife that it's something to do with the pregnancy 'cause some dogs can sense/smell the pregnancy.
Would the stool eating be related?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
. I've been theorizing to the wife that it's something to do with the pregnancy
it is highly unlikely and more likely related to your vaccation and his change in schedule. There have been cases of seperation anxiety occur with much less stimiulus see; Seperation Anxiety
Separation anxiety is often triggered by either a high contrast situation – months of the owner home all day followed by sudden eight-hour absences – or some sort of life change – rehoming, a stay at a boarding kennel, a death of a key family member or major change in routine.

as to a solution see Creating a Nighttime Ritual

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more likely related to your vaccation and his change in schedule
Even though it's been about 2 months since we got back from our vacation?
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the link.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Maybe for the sake of argument have your Vet give him a good check up,just to be certain there is nothing going on health -wise. You could check with your parents,if you didn't already, to see if there was a different night time ritual. Was he good for them or did he have a problem being there while you were gone. He should have fallen back into your way of doing things by now.

·
Registered
973 Posts
We have had Anabelle for 10 months now and she still wakes me up about once a week in the middle of the night for no reason. She can go out the dog door and doesn't need to be let out to go outside. If I hear her come in the room (namely her tail whacking against the TV and everything on the way to the bed) I can roll away from the side of the bed and she won't bother me if she doesn't see me, otherwise she will jump up and wake me up and won't go away until I acknowledge her presence.

Try wearing him out during the day so he will sleep better. That works for us. I think she just gets bored and isn't sleepy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd give anything to have my girl back to wake me in the middle of the night. She often did, especially when the weather was nice. Night time was the best rabbit time in the yard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts