Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this message board yesterday -- I am amazed that so many of you have bassets with the same health issues that Eleanor and Lucy have.

1. Eleanor is 5 -- she has Addison's and chronic UTIs. (and eats poop of all kinds).

2. Lucy is 2 with chronic anal gland issues -- and maybe UTIs -- we haven't been able to pin down what else is going on back there.

Any suggestions on the UTIs and anal glands??

I noticed in some of the posts there was mention of trembling. Eleanor does this whenever she has an infection -- but was in incredibly bad shape when she was diagnosed with Addison's. She trembled, wouldn't eat, was incontinent, vomited and drank a lot of water. It took forever and a lot of $ before the vet diagnosed correctly. They thought it was leptospirosis among other things. Addison's masquerades as many other illnesses -- so be sure to have the vet check for it if your dog has unexplained weakness or other signs of illness.

Yup -- bassets are sort of sickly but they are wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I think Murray is the poster child (dog) for anal gland problems. :(

Both his anal glands abcessed 2 years ago- I don't want him to have them removed because I know the surgery can have complications, and also because I don't want to put him under general anesthesia due to the allergic reactions and problems he seems to have with meds in general.

So we manage them: lots of extra fiber (canned pumpkin with every meal, brown rice, a big raw carrot every day, etc.) and salmon( which I'm convinced has helped but can't prove it, things just seem to be better back there since I started adding it to his diet).

He goes every 4 weeks to have the vet express them- once or twice during the first year there was blood and signs of infection in one, and the vet flushed with saline and packed with an antibiotic.

This is what has worked for us, hope something I wrote helps-

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome to the Board!

A lot of people have success controlling UTI's with cranberry pills. Do you know if the vet has cultured the UTI for the specific bacteria? Some can be very stubborn.

We use pumpkin for the anal glands.

Now we need pics of your furbabies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've attached their picture to this post -- I hope it can be viewed (I'm still figuring out how to use this site :))[attachment=444:Christma...otos_003.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You have very beautiful hounds!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts