Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious diarrhea, knee deep in poopies, house smelling like ...I can't even think of a word to describe the smell. I'm a surgical nurse and I thought I could handle anything.
Uh-uh, nothing like this. Okay, now a vet visit to the tune of $400. My knees go weak but they did a zillion tests and his Lyme titre came back weakly positive so a course of doxycycline and his special food and a refill of his heartworm prevention. So today he's doing a little better, he sure felt well enough to whine to go for a walk. (He brings the leash to me just so I really get it) A blind dog, in a huge thousands of acres park, manages to discover something vile and disgusting that he completely rubs his head, ears and neck in. I drive home with all the windows open and mouth breathing. when we opened the front door I could still smell the wretched house from a few days ago.
OWNING A BASSET HOUND TAKES A BOLD, COURAGEOUS, FEARLESS PERSON WITH A WEAK SENSE OF SMELL
:blink:

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Serious diarrhea, knee deep in poopies, house smelling like ...I can't even think of a word to describe the smell. I'm a surgical nurse and I thought I could handle anything.[/b]

Look on the bright side You did have PSPCA wanting to do an inspection at the same time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, Beverly!

I haven't been on in a while. Sorry to read that Francis isn't feeling well. How's that handsome boy doing otherwise?

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
>>>>OWNING A BASSET HOUND TAKES A BOLD, COURAGEOUS, FEARLESS PERSON WITH A WEAK SENSE OF SMELL<<<<<

That's be me, especially the weak sense of smell part.

Mike, you know that's only bad if you're a little old lady that breed hunting dogs....If you're a pet owner those conditions are just fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Boy does that bring back memories. Had a similar incident with our rescue Sasha Foo years ago. Came home from work with a migraine, opened the door and was just sure there was a dead whale in the house. I felt so bad for her and really bad for me! :blink: Hope he is feeling and smelling better - gotta love these pups.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Try that senario in a motel on Christmas Eve day on a visit to our son for the holidays. Bogie ate something or picked up germs from the sniffing in route at potty stops and developed horrible diarrhea. We were fortunate that our room was right by an exterior door and we would fly out the door every time he whined. We thankfully found a vet on Christmas Eve who put him on an antibiotic , gave him a shot to slow down things, and put him on white rice. Quite the experience.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's a lot better now but still passing toxic gas. He's on a cocktail of old favorites, Flagyl, Panacur-C, metamucil and Prescription Diet i/d. Thank God we were home, we were supposed to go down the Cape for the weekend and it would have been soooo uncool if this had happened on Mom's rugs. :(
Hope everyone else is doing well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oh, my goodness, that sounds quite rough. Reminds me of the time when I awoke to Penny throwing up in the bed. Everything had to be stripped off the bed and I went to the couch, but only after I cleaned up the trail of vomit the poor girl left as she was walking through the house. Not sure what she got into to, but like you I could smell a couple of days later.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've been a Zookeeper for 30 years, and my dogs have produced smells worse than anything I've ever encountered at work....including dead rotten animal guts, festering wounds, and tiger anal gland secretions.....Rocky's gas alone can strip paint off the walls.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been a Zookeeper for 30 years, and my dogs have produced smells worse than anything I've ever encountered at work....including dead rotten animal guts, festering wounds, and tiger anal gland secretions.....Rocky's gas alone can strip paint off the walls.[/b]

LOL!

Hope you were able to air out the house!

·
Registered
932 Posts
LOL!

Hope you were able to air out the house![/b]
Open windows, fans, febreeze, you name it, we've tried it....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time I had my house on the market, and I came home from work to find that either Lightning or Stomps had had diarhea all over the kitchen (where they were gated). Before I even had time to think, the doorbell rang and of course it was a realtor with some prospective buyers. I think you can all imagine what my house smelled like, so I stepped outside and explained the situation to the visitors. They said they had dogs and knew what it was like and barged right in. I had them start upstairs while I worked feverishly on the kitchen. Turns out, they wound up buying the place!

But your description of the appropriate basset "owner" is right on. I could post 100 stories just on poop and vomit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts