Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Step 1: Be approached in a Walmart parking lot by a random stranger who states they followed you there because of your basset hound bumper stickers. Listen to story of lovely stray basset hound abandoned in their neighborhood that needs a new home.

Step 2: Look for big flashing sucker sign above your head as you give said stranger your phone number and tell her to call you the next time she sees the basset.

Step 3: Receive sighting call and hurry over to their neighborhood. Proceed to wander the streets, sidewalks and backyards looking for the lovely basset. Include asking random strangers if they have seen her.

Step 4: See pretty basset girl lounging by a fence and approach. Talk sweetly to her and watch her bolt at the sound of your voice. Hurry quickly behind her at a reasonable distance until she or you tire or you lose sight of her.

Step 5: Repeat step 3 and 4 (minus the phone call) until you just give up and attempt to out run the basset.

Step 6: Watch said basset rocket away from you at bullet dog speed, not be see again for many minutes. Wander neighborhood aimlessly looking for hound.

Step 7: Give up looking for basset and make arrangements for residents in the neighborhood to call if they see her again.

Step 8: Drive out of subdivision and see basset walking jauntily back toward area you just left. Stalk in car for several minutes, then bail out like a crazy person and chase the rocket dog through a church parking lot, across a lawn and around some shrubs only to have her disappear again.

If done properly, your work out will result in mud covered pants, exhaustion, frustration and disbelief that a basset can move that quickly. Repeat daily until either you catch basset or are too crippled from the effort to move.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh poor you! And poor basset! Thank you for being willing to rescue this poor dog. Are you going to keep him or her? :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh poor you! And poor basset! Thank you for being willing to rescue this poor dog. Are you going to keep him or her? :p
That has yet to be decided.....As the stranger approached me, I was talking to my husband on the phone (with my bluetooth headset) and he heard the whole story and was saying "NO" the whole time in my ear.

If we can get her into a basset rescue, we would give her up. However at this time all the rescue's we've contacted are full. She might be with us for a while until we either find her a home or we become too attached to give her up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My first thought was "oh my gosh, poor you for having to chase that silly dog" then my senses came back and I thought about how scared that poor hound must be :( Soo good of you to make that effort! If you manage to get your hands on her....PICTURES :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first thought was "oh my gosh, poor you for having to chase that silly dog" then my senses came back and I thought about how scared that poor hound must be :( Soo good of you to make that effort! If you manage to get your hands on her....PICTURES :)
I honestly think the poor girl has been abused. More than one neighbor in that area said the same thing to me. She seems to love kids and one person even said that she will walk along side their daughter's wagon as long as you don't look at her or try to pet her. She sounds like a truly sweet little girl that has been treated horribly. I know that chasing her isn't the way to help her fear, I was just at my wits end and thought maybe she would tire and let me catch her.

The family with the little girl said that she will some times sleep on their door step and in their garage so I'm hoping maybe they can contain her in the garage so I can come a get her. They also told me the poor thing was howling during the thunder storms we had last night.

It really makes me so ANGRY that some one dumped her like that! I just hope I can help her and show her that not all big people are mean and scary.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Poor houndie.......hey the basset hound workout program sounds waaaay more exciting than the treadmill :D and I always feel like I have a big flashing SUCKER sign over my head too, lol. Best of luck in your hunting expedition, maybe you could lure her in with one of your hounds......or better yet some snausages :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Poor houndie.......hey the basset hound workout program sounds waaaay more exciting than the treadmill :D and I always feel like I have a big flashing SUCKER sign over my head too, lol. Best of luck in your hunting expedition, maybe you could lure her in with one of your hounds......or better yet some snausages :)
Ohhhhh good call...food, get's them every time!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately my hounds are two hours away. I work away from home all week (and go through basset withdrawal). She is too scared to eat the treats from people. They can't even get close so most people leave the treats outside on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Mrs. Rosco & Layla Mommy,

Since you are away, maybe you don't know this and I'm sorry to have to break the news... i think your bassets have been taken over by CATS!!! The cats are in charge now, and we have not heard anything from your dogs :( I am personally quite concerned, because I look up to Rosco. He is my role model, especially because he has the skillz to have 2 live-in girlfriends. I wanna grow up to be just like him.

anyways, I am telling you this because you may want to keep this basset if you catch her. you know, just in case she is the only basset you have left :(

Again, sorry to have to tell you the bad news about R & L & B. I believe they might be displaced refugees from the CAT Rebellion, at best. i sincerely hope they are alive and doing ok. I am still waiting for them to sound the horn, so I can answer the call for battle to overthrow the cats.... but have heard nothing.
--sincerely,
Worm

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, sorry to have to tell you the bad news about R & L & B. I believe they might be displaced refugees from the CAT Rebellion, at best. i sincerely hope they are alive and doing ok. I am still waiting for them to sound the horn, so I can answer the call for battle to overthrow the cats.... but have heard nothing.
--sincerely,
Worm
Worm - thank you for the update. I was aware there was some turf wars going on at home (they do this when I'm not home). I have heard from the hounds and they are ok and regrouping in secret. I'm sure things will be resolved by the time I get home and if not I will restore order as soon as Friday night.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yes, I heard about the turf wars on Facebook. They are regrouping, eh? Good for them!

Also, I hope something can be done about the stray, scared basset. Poor baby...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Some dogs are too smart for traps. If you end up having a really difficult time I recommend contacting a rescue to see who are your local heroic rescuers.

I helped about a year ago with rescuing one such dog that had evaded animal control and rescuers for months to years. We ended up needing a group of about 15 volunteers to corner her to trap her with a catch pole. The masterminds were a couple local men that are particularly skilled at rescuing dogs, a woman that rescues local dogs and runs a local website (DallasDogLife), and celebrity Hal Sparks.

She was escaping from her alleyway onto a huge 8 lane interstate (I-635). Here are some pics I took of the ordeal when we finally caught her. I was covered waist deep in mud from kneeling over to trap her.

Catching Allie | Facebook

Have faith, it may take some experienced help, but you can catch them if you are persistent enough.

Even standing right next to her, if you reached towards her she ran away.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you may need to consider a baited humane trap if the dog is accepting food left out.
This is most likely my next step. I haven't seen her around for the last two nights. I've asked people in the neighborhood and they haven't seen her either. I'm hoping she'll make an appearance over the weekend. (what I really hope is someone gets her into their fenced backyard and calls me)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts