Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a funny story I thought I would share...

My BH Kenworth loves to go for walks and here in Maine I am fortunate enough to own quite a bit of land. He's off a leash and "hunts rabbit", but very seldom goes more than a 100 feet from me and I never tote a gun.

Anyway, one day during early August we jumped a Black Bear munching away on some raspberries. Normally bear around here just take off and run long before you see them, but this one was loving life. Kenworth though was not loving him. He starts barking...takes off after this bear...gets halfway and then realizes he was quite a bit bigger than himself. Suddenly he turned around and came running back to me with his tail between his legs just a whimpering.

Fortunately the bear never realized he was under attack by a ferocious basset hound. In Kenworth's case, it's probably a good thing too!

(Thought you might get a laugh for what it is worth)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ha...ha...ha....That must be a funny scene. But I'm glad that noone was hurt!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha Ha Ha!!!! That's definitely a walk both you and Kenworth will never forget. Lucky for that bear Kenworth wasn't in a fighting mood. :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
3 beagles and 2 Bassets we had took off on a Bear here in New Jersey some years back,we were out Rabbit hunting in Northwest N.J.another hunter asked us if we had the hounds that was running the Bear that ran past him at about 80 miles a hour.the fun part was trying to catch the dogs but we got them back and the Bear was headed for safer grounds.

A

·
0 Posts
Our ferocious Toby chases a very large squirrel off the deck almost every day :) )

A

·
0 Posts
That is so funny.

I have a funny story about my dogs. My dogs are city dogs and hadn't been to the country until we visited my in laws. When we got there we went out back to let the dogs out and their neighbor who's fence backs up to their property had a cow in it. My MIL said it was a young cow, and my 2 dogs(1 basset and a mutt) just couldn't understand this big huge dog(cow) out in the back. They would go out there and just bark and run up and down the fence and the cow would just stand at the fence and look at them(probably thinking these are some crazy dogs). Then tall the sudden the cow let out a big "MOOOOO" and that was the end of the fun with the cow. Scared them out of their skin! My husband turned to me and said "Look at those sissy city dogs" Too this day I get a kick out of this story.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I once had a cow that thought he was a dog. His name was Steak and we had him tied up near our farm pond for one whole summer while he was a calf. I would tossle his ears, wrestle with him and rub his neck. Well to make a long story short, when we went to take Steak in to be...well...steak...we all went up to say our goodbyes. My foster sister's were small and were petting this huge bull. He was just that tame after two years of being treated like a dog. The guy taking him into the slaughter house was like "stay away from that bull he could hurt yah." and we just started petting him and rubbing his neck. That was when he asked to use him "for amicable cow relations" to make more baby calves because he was just that tame. He just could not believe a full grown bull could be that tame.

Kind of off the topic of BH's, but thought a secondary laugh would be alright. We all need more laughter in life anyway in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts