Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
" She said he was truly using his nose and exploring the "cone of scent" around the car. She was stunned and had never seen this happen so early before."

you will find the same thing with maze solving scent hound have an inherent random search pattern they are much faster than herding breeds at solving new mazes but if however the maze stay the same the herding dog will learn the pattern and get quicker and quicker where scent hound Stay with the random search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you will find the same thing with maze solving scent hound have an inherent random search pattern they are much faster than herding breeds at solving new mazes but if however the maze stay the same the herding dog will learn the pattern and get quicker and quicker where scent hound Stay with the random search.
That's so interesting now that you mention that, I've noticed that as the class goes on each dog gets a 2nd, 3rd or 4th turn to search. By the end of the class the herding dogs get faster and faster with finding the hidden odor while Gordon always takes the same amount of time, just like you described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I knew I came here for a reason!

What I'm gathering from this thread is that the basset hound will be extremely harder to train for this than a herding dog, but in the end I will have exactly what I want.

Time to gear up on training equipment and get a puppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morel Mushroom Sniffer?

I am hoping I can teach our soon to be Basset to sniff out Morel mushrooms (in the spring). Just want to make sure the mushrooms aren't harmful in case she decides to try one, although she will be on a leash of some sort.
Did you ever follow this through? Just came across this years later & have a pair of bassets that I keep.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts