Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time dog owner thinking of getting a basset hound.

I want to train a dog to do MAR, which is tracking lost pets.

I see that everyone is using bloodhounds. Personally, I would rather have a basset hound as I like their personalities better.

Can a basset hound track a scent that's weeks old like a bloodhound can? If so, can someone point me to a breeder that breeds for working ability and health?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Bassets noses are as good as a bloodhound. The problem is they can be like a bloodhound with ADHD. I have used one to track a lost dog, and it worked. I had a basset who could get out of a locked cell on Alcatraz. My other basset tracked him down mostly because he was afraid he was missing out on the fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The problem with Bassets is not their nose, it's their "work ethic". They are quite capable of following any scent you like - if they want to! Getting them to want to is the issue. It is quite possible, we have all sorts of Bassets that do a variety of activities and do them well, but you need to be able to get into the Bassets's head and find out what motivates them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Morel Mushroom Sniffer?

I am hoping I can teach our soon to be Basset to sniff out Morel mushrooms (in the spring). Just want to make sure the mushrooms aren't harmful in case she decides to try one, although she will be on a leash of some sort.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The problem with Bassets is not their nose, it's their "work ethic". They are quite capable of following any scent you like - if they want to! Getting them to want to is the issue. It is quite possible, we have all sorts of Bassets that do a variety of activities and do them well, but you need to be able to get into the Bassets's head and find out what motivates them.
Soundtrack would you be able to give me some advice ? Inky has now decided COME is a command she is going to ignore !
My boyfriend will take her out for a walk in the fields let her off the lead, she will fly around like a mad thing then when he calls her in she sits down, as soon as he gets close she is off running again !
Inky had never done this with me till today ! She seemed to mess everyone else around but she would come to me, now she has decided nope, she is going to run around and not come to me.
My Nan is a dog trainer and she keeps offering for me to join her classes or have a one to one but I just cant bring myself to do it!
I have seen her train all my life and she is very very good and renound for her classes but thats with Labradors !

Am I being silly? I feel Bassets are completely different to Labradors and the thought of me doing some of the techniques they use with Inky upset me !
I have been training her myself since she was small the basic ones sit, stay, come, GET OFF (lol) and she has been obedient admittedly not as much as I would have liked and she does what she is told when SHE feels like it. How do I stop her running off?!
I just cant bring my self to be tough with her :(

I for got to add Id really like to train her to follow scents how do I do this? Would she do it ?!

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
NOT BEING silly she has learned the joy of the chase game. Consider how and when you use a recall and what happens afterwards. Call dog got to vets, call dog go home. etc does not take much to make a recall not much fun. You need to be conscious of this and have lots of times when recall _ treat and of to play some more . THis needs to happen a lot more than the recall ends play

http://www.clickerdogs.com/perfectrecall.htm

online recall course opens next spring
http://www.susangarrett.com/the-five-minute-formula-to-a-brilliant-recall/

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
As Mikey says, she has learned that coming when called just means she gets leashed and the fun ends, running away means a fun chase.

The recall needs to be a fun, rewarding thing 95-99% of the time. This means that around the house you randomly call her, give a treat and a cuddle, and let her go. Once she's good at that you do it out in the (fenced) yard, then out in the field on leash. Once she's rushing to you every time you call no matter what, you can try out in the field. Call her back, give a treat, let her go back to playing. Do that many, many times over and over so that coming back doesn't automatically mean "end of fun". And, BTW, does she get any reward for putting her leash on? For going home (if she'd rather stay?). Remember, Bassets want to be "paid" for everything they do.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They do love to be chased. I had one who would grab bras out of laundry and wait by dog door until I saw him. The chase was then on. I'd give up after a certain amount of time, and then he buried them with one strap hanging out so I could see where it was.

I fixed the problem by stopping wearing bras.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
Mariah would steal sock to exchange for cookies. When we stop trading she would just drop them or run to her Mom instead because she would always exchange.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
this thread is hysterically funny.

yes, they are downright impish in their delight at being chased.

ours will "taunt" us with something they have stolen just to experience the basset joy of having a human run after them

@soundtrack: LOL you are right, it's not their noses that's the issue it IS their work ethic or lack thereof.

They have a play ethic, larceny ethic, silliness ethic but apparently no discernible work ethic.

once I conformed to the basset way; realizing they want to be "paid" for everything they do I have the most seemingly "obedient" dogs. Of course I ALWAYS have some kibble in my pocket

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hi, long time dog owner thinking of getting a basset hound.

I want to train a dog to do MAR, which is tracking lost pets.

I see that everyone is using bloodhounds. Personally, I would rather have a basset hound as I like their personalities better.

Can a basset hound track a scent that's weeks old like a bloodhound can? If so, can someone point me to a breeder that breeds for working ability and health?
Second only to the Bloodhound, it's said although given the shape, clearly they don't have the same all-terrain ability the Bloodhound probably has.

I can but point you towards Soundtrack who shows and trials (?) her Bassets. She will be able to point you in the right direction. Many people in Bassets track with them but I'd suggest you have to find the right hound firstly. I'd totally agree with her comment about 'work ethic' because the one thing with Bassets is their strong will - if they don't want to do something, that's IT. Obviously the Bloodhound would have similar traits, but somehow it seems to be possible to keep them up to their job unlike the Basset. Otherwise I'd suggest you'd see Bassets doing the same work as the Bloodhound, more often. Again with the applied psychology - making the Basset think what you want them to do, was their idea all along.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
most organization that train Sar's dog will not accept basset but dachshund are used quite a lot as well as bassets for blood tracking ie track shot game. so if you are willing to train on your own it should not be a problem training with a group it might be hard to find one that will accept a basset.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
most organization that train Sar's dog will not accept basset but dachshund are used quite a lot as well as bassets for blood tracking ie track shot game. so if you are willing to train on your own it should not be a problem training with a group it might be hard to find one that will accept a basset.
Interesting, the SAR trainer where I was before would accept any breed AFAIK, basing her evaluation more on the individual dog.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
http://disasterdog.org/pdf/training/articles/Screening.pdf

FEMA National US&R Response System
Suggested Guidelines for Screening Disaster Canine Candidates
! Canine candidates should be one of the following breeds which have
statistically proven successful in gaining certification in the US&R
program:
o Labrador Retriever
o German Shepherd Dog
o Border Collie
o Belgian Malinois
o Golden Retriever
! Canine candidate should be between 12 and 24 months of age when
screened."

http://ardainc.org/pdf/ARDA_Standards-Min-Require.pdf
"High Jump - On command the canine will jump into back of pick-up truck or
equivalent (approximate height 36 inches)."

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Hmmm.....looking at the registration form it looks like she is willing to take trainees all the way from those serious about certification and working to those who simply want to do something fun, interesting and challenging with their dog, not necessarily to certify.

·
Registered
418 Posts
They do love to be chased. I had one who would grab bras out of laundry and wait by dog door until I saw him. The chase was then on. I'd give up after a certain amount of time, and then he buried them with one strap hanging out so I could see where it was.

I fixed the problem by stopping wearing bras.
HAHAHAHA !! Inky does this with any form of underwear......!

@Soundtrack thanks for the advice it makes sense Ill have to start taking treats out with me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We signed Gordon up for "Nosework" 12 weeks ago (he was 8 months old when we started). At first he was very distracted and just wanted to dart around the room and play, but the trainer has done a great job of making it a "fun game" with a delicious reward of liverwurst/hot dog/stinky food for the dogs to find. It is incredible to watch him search now. Although we have worked with just finding food for 12 weeks, this week we are going to start pairing the food with odor (birch). Eventually once the drive to "find it" is so strong, we'll take the food away completely.
Our trainer mostly works with herding dogs (she has a Belgian Malinois) and the other dogs in the class are German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Border collie mix, etc.. the ones you think of as having "strong work ethic." Over the past few weeks she has been so impressed by how differently the basset's nose works to find the hidden scent compared to the other dogs. He is much slower and more methodical.
This week we searched the outside of a vehicle. The trainer said most dogs at this stage will just have their nose stuck to the car because they use their minds and figure "that's where the food must be hiding." Gordon started pulling away from the car, making a small loop then returning back to the car and finding the reward. I thought he was just being a distracted basset, but the trainer said this is a technique dogs usually don't develop until they are much further along in their training. She said he was truly using his nose and exploring the "cone of scent" around the car. She was stunned and had never seen this happen so early before. Needless to say I was so proud :)
All in all, it is was very difficult to get our basset to stick to "working" but I think if you start young and make it fun, you might end up with an incredible search dog. Gordon has already changed so much in the past 12 weeks. Now it doesn't matter where we are or what he's doing, if I say "find it" something clicks in his head, he stops everything and starts sniffing. Outside of "working" he's still his dopey stubborn bassety self!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts