·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ha! What a great video!!

ALTHOUGH!! Charlie does refuse to walk, all the time! She doesn't mind walks around the apartment and nearby streets, but once we start venturing out a quarter mile past our place, she often just stops walking. She has definitely done the same thing as the basset in the video, just laying down. But she also just sits and positions her head in just the right way to get her collar off, no matter the tightness! (She never runs off though.. she just stays there waiting for us to put it back on!)

I often have to give in and not go any further because she seriously will not move!

The funny thing is.. once we turn around, she is all jolly and readily trots home! I swear she has the greatest sense of direction.. when it comes to not wanting to walk and wanting to get home! Then once we are by the apartment, she'll trot to the door and then refuse to go up the stairs. I usually have already walked up the first flight and she just sits at the end of the staircase. Once I start to walk down to get her to go up the stairs, she quickly turns to the door and happily waits to go back outside!

Oh bassets and their stubbornness... things are on their terms, done their way! Not going to lie, I love this trait about them as difficult as they may be sometimes!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ours played the dead dog routine when it was over 90 degrees. Here are some tips for dealing:

Carry a cell phone so when you get stranded cause your hound decides its time to stop walking you can call for a ride.

Use a wagon or doggie coach.

Carry a bag full of peanut butter treats.

Make friends with all the neighbors, who will put out a bowl of water and treats.

Lay down with your hound and enjoy the cool grass!

·
Registered
78 Posts
well what happens is the darn collar always loosens.. we might just have to get a new one. I agree, we have to be careful about it!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What a fun video! Our Boomer loves walks, but always has to lie down in several lawns along the way, and refuses to move until HE is ready. I sometimes have to put him on all 4 legs to keep moving.

Yet, on the way home, he is suddenly all full of energy and barks and wants to run. Must know he'll get a treat when he gets home.

·
Registered
878 Posts
well what happens is the darn collar always loosens.. we might just have to get a new one. I agree, we have to be careful about it!
I am always trying to make sure ours don't slip out of their collars if they're pulling backwards because I have seen it happen to others and a harness might be best for a pulling dog.

Someone on here had a Basset run over by a car a couple of months ago and it was very worrying and was not the Basset's fault because the responsibilty for our dogs' safety is up to us!

Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I too, had to laugh... though thankfully mine have never done such a stunt Jake however has done the duck the head an slip out of the collar to chase a rabbit routine once... so in his case the harness is very helpful!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Jake however has done the duck the head an slip out of the collar to chase a rabbit routine once... so in his case the harness is very helpful!
Macey has done it out of a proper fitting standard harness, collar, and martigale (grey hound) limited slip collar, Distraction Training is more helpful.!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Macey has done it out of a proper fitting standard harness, collar, and martigale (grey hound) limited slip collar, Distraction Training is more helpful.!
Sounds like her great grandmother Rainbow, that dog could slip out of anything except a choker - and sometimes even that!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My girl Lily has slipped out of her harness...on our way to the vet right next to a busy road. I about had a heart attack. She was startled and began to run off, but as soon as I opened the car door she went running to the car to get in. Whew. I have since readjusted her harness and she hasn't got out of it since (that was about a year ago).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Over the years we learned to manage our girl Lucy very well on leash as far as backing out of her collar. (The problem we could never conquer was pulling especially if we were approaching a friend she was very excited to see or she flushed a rabbit) Very seldom did she back out of her collar and if she did it was our fault b/c we either weren't paying attention or weren't being patient enough on her dawdling days! Anyhow, as she got older, if this happened and her collar pulled off, she would freeze and stand perfectly still until we got her all fixed up. When I say freeze, I mean stiff like a statue! Of course, we NEVER really trusted that she would behave in this manner, so we tried very very hard to manage her safely while on leash. She was permitted to walk/run off leash if we were on a trail, large open field or fenced in area but anywhere close to roads/vehicles or water, she was on leash.
Harnesses never worked for us, b/c they aided her pulling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts