Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what life is like at playtime in our house. Even if you turn your volume all the way up, it won't compare to how loud this is in person. Some days they just stand in a triangle and bark at each other. Perhaps I should buy stock in Beltones now because I have a feeling I'm going to need them pretty soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
haha so cute! My house sounds very similar when I get home from work, except there is a lot more running in circles and running into the couch :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here too, now that we have two bassets. I got home from teaching a class this evening and my two went nuts. They are just now calming down...sort of. Multi-bassets are a good time.

BTW, Winston went looking for the other puppies when he heard the video. Molly is learning that the YouTube bassets aren't really here. Still, I get the wrinkled brow of concern from her every time. Funny.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ha ha, like Winston & Mollie, Worm also gets confused watching basset hound videos on Youtube. I think we might have watched Sophie B's 2 bassets awhile back when she posted cute videos of them. He hears the bassets and they sound totally real to him, and he looks around for them. He also actually WATCHES the videos. Weird!!

I think he can watch things on TV, like people & dogs, he seems to recognize them. Also, he can see himself (used to bark at himself) and us in the mirrors. Do other people's bassets do this too?

I am intrigued, because I'm pretty sure my last dog could not see/recognize reflections or mirrors, and had zero interest in TV. Anyone know why some dogs can see reflections in mirrors, etc, and some can't?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, he can see himself (used to bark at himself) and us in the mirrors. Do other people's bassets do this too?
Bernie sees reflections. I don't know if he recognizes who they are though. He watches himself in the oven door. The other night he saw me and him in the full length mirror. It's right by the door and when he saw the reflection he took off through the door looking for the other "person & dog". It was the funniest thing cause he went in every room trying to find them. It really messed with him. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
What a great video! I love the dog to the left of the bed who is just laying down and barking. That's too funny.

And Virga and Doppler both watch TV occasionally. Especially if I'm watching something on Animal Planet. But Virga is the one that is infatuated with her reflection. We have a DVD cabinet with glass doors and she will stop and stare into it for a minute or so. She used to growl at her reflection. Now she just checks herself out. One day we brought the full length mirror off the back of our bathroom door and laid it longways on the floor and she kept strutting her stuff back and forth checking herself out. It was hilarious!!! I wish we had caught it on camera but any move we had made would have distracted her from her hamming.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Breezy is the one in the first part of the video playing with my husband. She also the owner of the loudest howl.

·
Registered
562 Posts
HDTV's have made for some pretty good entertainment with our cats. Bunsen has puffed himself up once before when a National Geographic show was on about lynx, and he periodically comes flying across the couch to swat at birds he sees on TV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts