Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If she's alone, ten to one she might do something like this as pack hounds especially absolutely hate being alone. I don't understand what a 'mussel' is and if a muzzle, how that can stop her peeing? Do you take her out for a good walk before you leave her? Do you leave a radio or TV on so she's not alone in a silent house?

For how long are you away because to be honest, given she's clearly very upset being left, it might be worth considering finding a Doggie Daycare centre where she'd have company.

If she's raiding the garbage - move it so she can't. This is all part of how anxious she is. Can you leave her somewhere her peeing isn't a major drama, much as this won't solve her being so unhappy. It might just help prevent you from coming home to find a mess!!

Finally, much as it might not work, one Basset is never enough ................................................... !!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If she has canine company, TV/radio on then I really don't understand what's going on unless there's some medical reason for this urination. I guess you have ruled this out however. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

Yes, separation anxiety can't be ruled out but she's FOUR, has canine companions and presumably a routine she knows about, so what's going on? By that age, I'd not accept this as SA. On that basis, the only thing I can suggest you might consider is skullcap and valerian, or similar. I hate to think of her having to wear a muzzle - can she drink with that on?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Reading your OPs again, frankly 9 hours is a very long time to expect any dog to hold during the daytime and it may be as simple (muzzle apart) as she just cannot hold for that long, on a regular basis. Can you have somebody come in to let her outside at least once during that time, or get home lunchtime yourself? I don't ever leave mine at home for more lthan 4 hours which is the recommended best practice. I'm surprised your other dogs can hold that long - and how do you know it's your Basset who is peeing indoors?

And incidentally, there's NO WAY I'd crate for 9 hours during the daytime - night is different as presumably a dog is sleeping and should, as an adult, not need to be taken out overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts