Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I at my wits end.. I have a 4 year old female .. I have always had golden retrievers.. but got a basset when she was a puppy … EVERYTIME I go to work 5-6 days out of the week if I leave .. she pees!!!!’ They long way I can get her not to pee inside is to put a soft mussel on her. She pees on the rug by the back door or by the front or any in the kitchen. I hate to have to put a mussel on her everyday I leave but if I don’t she will pee.. and go right for the garbage .. with or without food in it .. I could walk her to my kids bus stop and she pees .. go to work, and she will still pee in the house .. but if I do the same thing and then mussel her … she won’t ! It’s sooo frustrating and I don’t get this behavior.. anyone .. help…

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If she's alone, ten to one she might do something like this as pack hounds especially absolutely hate being alone. I don't understand what a 'mussel' is and if a muzzle, how that can stop her peeing? Do you take her out for a good walk before you leave her? Do you leave a radio or TV on so she's not alone in a silent house?

For how long are you away because to be honest, given she's clearly very upset being left, it might be worth considering finding a Doggie Daycare centre where she'd have company.

If she's raiding the garbage - move it so she can't. This is all part of how anxious she is. Can you leave her somewhere her peeing isn't a major drama, much as this won't solve her being so unhappy. It might just help prevent you from coming home to find a mess!!

Finally, much as it might not work, one Basset is never enough ................................................... !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lolololsorry yes muzzle , I started that because she would get into stuff… we take the garbage up when we leave .. I don’t understand why she doesn’t pee with the muzzle on but she doesn’t … she is not alone , I have 2x golden retrievers also. They have the entire house to themselves , I play the radio all day..in the am we have a big fenced in yard and they are out there all morning until they tell me they want to come in .. we also walk to her the bus stop when my girls go to school… I am only gone 9 hours or less a day.. and spend the entire evening with them around me .. a nine hour day is the longest.. I have had many dogs and never had one do this ..there is no reason for this behavior .. she Goes outside every morning and wanders around the backyard comes to the door when she wants to come in she has the two retrievers here to play with she has music playing all day long it just doesn’t make sense why she does this behavior even after she’s already peed in the morning and why the muzzle stops her from peeing I don’t understand that why she won’t pee if the muscles on even if the muzzle is super loose but if she’s not wearing it and I’m gone for work even for a couple hours she’ll be naughty

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If she has canine company, TV/radio on then I really don't understand what's going on unless there's some medical reason for this urination. I guess you have ruled this out however. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I have had her checked for bladder infections and everything the only thing I can chalk it up to is a behavior issue but I don’t know how to correct it I may have to end up putting them all in the laundry room for the day I hate to do that with my two senior dogs but I may have to

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I at my wits end.. I have a 4 year old female .. I have always had golden retrievers.. but got a basset when she was a puppy … EVERYTIME I go to work 5-6 days out of the week if I leave .. she pees!!!!’ They long way I can get her not to pee inside is to put a soft mussel on her. She pees on the rug by the back door or by the front or any in the kitchen. I hate to have to put a mussel on her everyday I leave but if I don’t she will pee.. and go right for the garbage .. with or without food in it .. I could walk her to my kids bus stop and she pees .. go to work, and she will still pee in the house .. but if I do the same thing and then mussel her … she won’t ! It’s sooo frustrating and I don’t get this behavior.. anyone .. help…
I agree, the garbage is an easy fix. Just put it somewhere she can’t get to it. For the peeing, does she have a way to get outside to go potty? If she is home all day while you work, that’s a long time to have to hold it. I have a doggy door for my boy. Also, Id recommend exercising her in the morning before you leave. If you tire her out, she’ll be less likely to get into trouble and if it’s separation anxiety it may help with that too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Reading your OPs again, frankly 9 hours is a very long time to expect any dog to hold during the daytime and it may be as simple (muzzle apart) as she just cannot hold for that long, on a regular basis. Can you have somebody come in to let her outside at least once during that time, or get home lunchtime yourself? I don't ever leave mine at home for more lthan 4 hours which is the recommended best practice. I'm surprised your other dogs can hold that long - and how do you know it's your Basset who is peeing indoors?

And incidentally, there's NO WAY I'd crate for 9 hours during the daytime - night is different as presumably a dog is sleeping and should, as an adult, not need to be taken out overnight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts