Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am Alba, from Barcelona, and I have several problems with my Basset. I have a year and a half Basset, I took it when he was about 3 and a half months.
1. Since he was little he pees at home. First they told me that it was normal, that he was a puppy. We put potty pads on the balcony and near the rooms. We removed the one from the rooms a few months ago, however, at night he gets up and continues to pee where we used to put the potty pad (tonight he peed at 3am and at 6am). He goes really often to the street: 8:30 am, 12:00 am, 5pm, 8pm, 11:30 pm. Sometimes we even go out one more time in the morning. He plays and pees on the street. But at home too, when more than two hours go by, sometimes he also pees on the potty pad on the balcony. I am a bit desperate with this issue because I don't know how to fix it. I keep a diary to control how many times he pees and where. I don't know if I didn't teach him well or if it's normal for a basset to pee so many times. Lately, he can't wait to go to the street in the morning, he pees on the landing of the house when we're waiting for the elevator. I don't know if this is related to what I am going to tell you now.
2. My dog vomits bile at night. He has had periods when he vomits more and others when he vomits less. It's supposed to be because he has sour and empty stomach at night, so we give him the last intake after the last walk at 11pm. When he doesn't vomit, he pees more.
3. Lately, he licks a lot a back pawn and the penis. Also when he does, his saliva smells bad.
4. At night he has his bed next to mine, when he sleeps in his bed and wakes up, he usually goes to pee where there was the potty pad. However, when he sleeps in mine, he usually waits until morning.
I would like to know your opinions and if something similar has happened to someone.
Thank you,

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
what age the the dog. Basset puppies are notoriously slow to gain the sphincter control necessary to really house train.

1. trying to teach two behaviors at once never works. either use the puppy pads of everything then once that is a perfected behavior transition to going out side or just use the outside. Don't use the pads sometime and outside time dog is never going to figure out what is going on and constantly confuse.

2. the age of the dog is important information to have in offering suggestion because it determines if the dogs behavior is age appropriate or not.

3. "We removed the one from the rooms a few months ago, however, at night he gets up and continues to pee where we used to put the potty pad " normal behavior because that is where you taught him is an appropriate place to go. There can also be lingering scent in the are that is an attractant and signal that the location is an appropriate place to go. Need to clean the area with a enzymatic cleaner and place a barrier around it for now.

4. " keep a diary to control how many times he pees and where " what you need is a ridged schedule of when he is fed has access to water, plays and sleeps. with a schedule then when the dog need to go becomes predictable and you can take him out before he has an accident.

5. see ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy "A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night.Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners. "

6. you need to teach the dog an appropriate behavior to let you know when it need to go out. This is a point that cause many House training failures. I like the following ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- House Training: Ring My Bell!

7. "his saliva smells bad. " this should be discussed with a vet could be a sign of a number of things most likely an infection in the mouth or lip fold area.

8. excessive linking can be caused by a yeast infection another reason for a vet consult.

9 "My dog vomits bile at night " not uncommon in dogs especially puppies the need to be fed multiple times a day . Because bassets are prone to bloat at a minimium the should be fed twice a day. even as adults.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mikey, he is one and a half.

1-4 He has a very stipulated schedule, he knows when it is his turn because he often calls and holds on. However, when he's distracted, he pees. It is less and less frequent, but it usually happens 2 or 3 days in a row. In other words, it is not something he does regularly, but for periods of time. The potty pads have been removed so that he understands that he has to go outside.

5-7-8 I have been to the vet 6 or 7 times since January, when they castrated him, and he has never solved anything, he has given us fungal medications and omeprazole among other things ...

9 We give him 3 food intakes a day, now we try to divide the last one in two and give him one just before going to sleep

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
" he knows when it is his turn because he often calls and holds on." that is an assumption that many make that hold back training . 1 if the dog did now better it would not be make the mistake. once you blame the dog instead of the training all progress stops. 2 given that he still goes where the pad once were you need to be sure there is no lingering absorbed odor. Use an enzymatic type pet stain/odor remover following the directions strictly. which usually means it need to be covered and kept moist of 48 hrs minimum. Block access to those area with barricades. You need to teach a behavior for him to be able to tell you he needs to go out. That is probably on of the big issues currently At 1.5 years of age sphinter control is not the issue unless nuetered really young then you may have a medical condition that generally starts later if it were to occur. It is known as spay incontinence and general occurs in middle age female dogs when it happens but it can occur in younger dogs and males,. In general the dog will have accident while sleeping can't hold it etc This can be controlled /cured with medication. Does not sound like your problem but brought it up just in case. Because he has a turn I going to assume he is not an only dog. Think when you are travelling in a car and holding it. The closer you get to a rest area the harder it is to hold it because of the anticipation ob being able to relieve yourself no different with dogs. Given his age and excitability level if multple dogs I would move him up in order so he does not have to hold it that long in an excited state,

Yeast infections in basset hounds are usually secondary conditions that is things like allergies , a genetic skin condition in basset called seborrhea etc lead to a yeast/fungus infection. You can treat the yeast fungus all you want but unless the primary cause is address it will keep coming back. Might want to look at a referral to a Vet specializing in dermatology. Just as ina humans aif a vet is not able to solve, mitigate a health issue it time for either a second opinion or a new practitioner.

nothing wrong with your feeding schedule if it works for you and the dog. That said I would find it a Pain in the but and would look to doing either one of the following. Feed on evening meal but at the later time or Feed slightly less at earlier time but give the dog a large cookie or two at bed time. WHEN THE DOG is on your bed during the night I rather suspect it is a pain for him to get off which is why he holds it whereas when on his own bed much easier to get up and relive himself. If not doing so might want to close the bedroom door at knight so he does not have access to night time spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts