Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’m Ruth and I live in Utah. I’m very interested in getting a Basset Hound but I drive a Smart Fortwo. No room for a kennel to ride in. Do any of you drive your Basset Hound around in a Smart? If so, does he/she ride in the back or do you use a doggy seatbelt?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi. I’m Ruth and I live in Utah. I’m very interested in getting a Basset Hound but I drive a Smart Fortwo. No room for a kennel to ride in. Do any of you drive your Basset Hound around in a Smart? If so, does he/she ride in the back or do you use a doggy seatbelt?
Thanks!
I just found this photo online. So I guess this is how she’ll ride … with the gate closed of course
Car Dog Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Hah!! This takes me right back to when we had our first Basset, and an MG Midget!! Not much would have parted me from that car but after visiting my parents who lived in Somerset (UK) when we lived close to St.Albans, Hertfordshire (UK) it became obvious that we needed something more appropriate. So out went the MG(s) and in came the Estate cars (Station Wagons over there!). We currently have a Peugeot 2008 for our now only one hound (a Whippet) whose crate is width-wise across the back, immediately behind the front seats and as she's likely to 'fly' in an accident, the crate is anchored via the back seat attachments with my old benching chains. For local trips, Frankie rode behind her crate and on longer trips, in his crate behind her crate. I had a ramp for Frankie's final months but he was 'trained' to put his front legs up on the back bumper, as all my Bassets were (covered with a towel to prevent scratching) so I could heave the rest of him up into the car. Obviously Teazel Whippet could jump in. In general, I prefer to have them travel in a crate rather than belted in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah!! This takes me right back to when we had our first Basset, and an MG Midget!! Not much would have parted me from that car but after visiting my parents who lived in Somerset (UK) when we lived close to St.Albans, Hertfordshire (UK) it became obvious that we needed something more appropriate. So out went the MG(s) and in came the Estate cars (Station Wagons over there!). We currently have a Peugeot 2008 for our now only one hound (a Whippet) whose crate is width-wise across the back, immediately behind the front seats and as she's likely to 'fly' in an accident, the crate is anchored via the back seat attachments with my old benching chains. For local trips, Frankie rode behind her crate and on longer trips, in his crate behind her crate. I had a ramp for Frankie's final months but he was 'trained' to put his front legs up on the back bumper, as all my Bassets were (covered with a towel to prevent scratching) so I could heave the rest of him up into the car. Obviously Teazel Whippet could jump in. In general, I prefer to have them travel in a crate rather than belted in.
I enjoyed reading this. Hard to imagine an adult basset in an MG! How cute. I know what it’s like to be faced with having to be practical and giving up your MG as I had to say goodbye to an Austin Healey Sprite a long time ago for the same reason. Hopefully the Smart will work for my new basset but if not, she comes first … I guess. 🫤🐾

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I enjoyed reading this. Hard to imagine an adult basset in an MG! How cute. I know what it’s like to be faced with having to be practical and giving up your MG as I had to say goodbye to an Austin Healey Sprite a long time ago for the same reason. Hopefully the Smart will work for my new basset but if not, she comes first … I guess. 🫤🐾
How interesting because we too had an AH Sprite, British Racing Green with wire wheels. Our Sprite was a frog-eyed Sprite. This was our first sports car and some years before we had Bassets. We called her Suki Sprite. Next came our first Midget, red and called Bridget Midget and then our last Midget - called Big Bertha, white, because she had a bigger engine. And yes, Harvey did fit behind the seats but when we had to see my parents, there was very little room for luggage!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How interesting because we too had an AH Sprite, British Racing Green with wire wheels. Our Sprite was a frog-eyed Sprite. This was our first sports car and some years before we had Bassets. We called her Suki Sprite. Next came our first Midget, red and called Bridget Midget and then our last Midget - called Big Bertha, white, because she had a bigger engine. And yes, Harvey did fit behind the seats but when we had to see my parents, there was very little room for luggage!!
I love the names of your cars, Big Bertha especially. I’ve been trying to decide on a name for my basset when I get her … maybe I’ll name her Bertha. 😀 By the way, my Smart car’s name is “Runt.”

1 - 6 of 6 Posts