Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No emergency here but every so often when I play with my basset hound, he sheds hair and has a toy pig I play with him. He sometimes cough as if he has something trapped in the back of his throat. I’m sure wits either one of his hairs that’s she’d or his saliva or the hair from the pet pig. Anyone else’s basset cough like this ? Also he himself makes some noises like a pig haha! :)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I think it's probably time to involve your vet with what's going on. Coughing can be some respiratory infection going on (and could be why he makes that odd noise?) or even an indication of a heart condition. Both of which need investigation.

Hope he'll be ok and no none of mine has done that other than if they are sick. I did have one who had to have his tonsils removed - he was coughing like Kennel Cough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm, does he make this sound when he is playing with another toy? Maybe is the toy itself the one affecting him. Maybe the toys material is shedding so much and it's getting lodged in his throat which unfortunately can happen, some toys sold in pet stores are just not safe for dogs but they still sell them :/

Also, if this continues I would have to agree with TeazelsMum above, maybe is time to visit the vet just to make sure there's nothing going on. Wish the best to your boy!

-Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's probably time to involve your vet with what's going on. Coughing can be some respiratory infection going on (and could be why he makes that odd noise?) or even an indication of a heart condition. Both of which need investigation.

Hope he'll be ok and no none of mine has done that other than if they are sick. I did have one who had to have his tonsils removed - he was coughing like Kennel Cough.
I’ve taken him to the vet and everything seems okay , he only coughs after he’s drink a lot of water because he drinks too quick I think, but every so often when I’m playing with him he will cough as if a hairs caught his throat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, does he make this sound when he is playing with another toy? Maybe is the toy itself the one affecting him. Maybe the toys material is shedding so much and it's getting lodged in his throat which unfortunately can happen, some toys sold in pet stores are just not safe for dogs but they still sell them :/

Also, if this continues I would have to agree with TeazelsMum above, maybe is time to visit the vet just to make sure there's nothing going on. Wish the best to your boy!

-Sean
Well it can happen when we are play fighting , which makes me think it’s a hair because he sheds a lot ( even though I brush a lot ) so there’s alot of hair around us when we play

·
Registered
7 Posts
Then
I’ve taken him to the vet and everything seems okay , he only coughs after he’s drink a lot of water because he drinks too quick I think, but every so often when I’m playing with him he will cough as if a hairs caught his throat
I think that sounds fine, me as a human even do that HAHA (I have so many allergies and my throat and nose gets super irritated with fibers easily. So I get your boy, I feel his pain. If the vet said everything is okay, then I wouldn't worry.

Happy playing!
- Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts