Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset loves people and other dogs. I noticed that the majority of dogs she tries to run to and then barks at them. There’s this one large non-neutered Akita dog she sees during walk time, and she cries every time she sees him. He’s the only dog she does that with. Why?

Additionally, I noticed this weird trait she has with the big pit bulls next door along the fence. Anytime she sees them she gets on her hind legs and lunges at the fence and barks at them, as if to make herself appear big and tough. She only does this with the pit bulls, and they scare the heck out of me because they’re so aggressive and try to break the fence down, so I always pull her away. But why does she do this with these particular dogs? Is it aggression or fear or excitement?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
1. A see through s barrier like a fence gives dog a sence of security to posture more aggressively with out negative consequences. So both sets of dogs are posturing with out resolution it will only get worse if the continue to do so without consequences. or given a better meas to deal with the situation.
\Crate and kennel guarding: teaching a new response

2. running toward and barking at other dogs is not necessarily a friendly greeting.

". A frantic, excited greeting is often mistaken for aggression both by humans and by other dogs. Poor dog to dog socialization skills can easily be seen as an inappropriate social behaviour that won’t be tolerated by many dogs. Rude dog behaviours can quickly cause a dog meeting to end up as a dog fight. A dog that forgoes the greeting ritual and instead barges up to another dog is the dog that quite often ends up triggering arguments or fights. Many of these altercations are completely avoidable if dog owners would spend more time on proper and adequate dog socialization for their dog and correcting their dog’s behaviour. A large part of socialization means helping to show your dog how to politely meet another dog. "

Barrier Frustration and Why it Matters to You and Your Dog

3. Hounds often seem oblivious to proper personal space of other dogs, humans and other creatures,

4. Akitia , Has she actual greated this dog or just walk by?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
With some dogs who may actually be more retiring than others, regardless of breed, they all too often adopt an 'attack is the best form of defence'. She may be doing this. Without seeing what's going on, it's hard to know.

My last Basset would, quite sensibly, only bother with other dogs if necessary. And if they pushed it, yapping at him as some terriers can, they'd eventually receive one big WOOF at which point they'd back off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With some dogs who may actually be more retiring than others, regardless of breed, they all too often adopt an 'attack is the best form of defence'. She may be doing this. Without seeing what's going on, it's hard to know.

My last Basset would, quite sensibly, only both with other dogs if necessary. And if they pushed it, yapping at him as some terriers can, they'd eventually receive one big WOOF at which point they'd back off.
you got a great point

1 - 4 of 4 Posts