Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article and thought it was really funny.

Living with Bassets

Bassets are unusual dogs in that the games they play and rules they follow are not "politically correct" according to dogs of other breeds. This is because they are independent thinkers and will choose how to vary the game to their advantage.

For example: An Afghan Hound (a very fast breed) will run the fence perimeter in a game of chase and have a home base; while a Basset takes the shortest distance between two points and will not respect the "home free" space. This allows the Basset to get to the end point just when the Afghan arrives, much to the surprise of the Afghan. The poor Afghan then believes it has been outrun by a dog with no legs and the Basset is feeling ever so powerful and clever, and announces this loudly to the Afghan.
This delights the true Basset owner and frustrates those that likely should not have a Basset in their life. Basset owners are full of incredible true tales of how their dogs "find" fun.

Fast Dog
This game involves running as fast as your mini legs will carry you, holding your head in ear-flying position. When engaging in this activity, the Basset believes it is running like the wind, faster than a speeding bullet and no one/nothing can keep up with it. A true Basset lover will not proceed beyond a jog, so that the dog's spirit will not be crushed and its ego can maintain the pride of being the "fastest dog on the planet". This game is often played after he has had a bath, when he is chasing chickens and birds on the beach, or when he leaves with your Burger King Whopper that you so kindly left unattended.

Stereo Chase
In this game, there are other dogs involved. One dog is "it", the others semi-chase it until it tires and sits or lays for a rest. All the Bassets involved then take position around the "it" and bark until "it" can stand it no more and will run again. This is repeated over and over until someone else chooses to become "it" or the current "it" loses patience and/or screams uncle or simply goes deaf from the onslaught.

Hide and Seek
Not all Bassets play this. It will often be a game with a human. The human hides somewhere in the house and the Basset has to "go find". It can also take the form of hiding around the kitchen island, the around-and-about section of the house, or around the shed outside, etc. I must admit to having been found sitting on my kitchen counter looking down upon my hounds while they try to scent the trail and find me.

Bite the Leg (played only with other dogs)
When you are a dog with no legs and what little you have is resting under your body, this is a very challenging game. Trying to nip each others leg while standing is the hardversion. Lying down and nibbling on the other guy's leg is the most common form however.

Bite the Face (played only with other dogs)
This game involves lots of open-mouthed "gumming", trying to trap the other guys muzzle in one's mouth. This is not a tough challenge, but will do when too tired to play "Bite the Leg". When they go for the ears, this game needs to be halted as it can lead to hard feelings and loud squeals.

Fetch
With a few rare exceptions, this is not a very fun game with a Basset unless you like to jog. Most take the attitude of, "You didn't want it, so you threw it away. Why should I go get it just because you changed your
mind?"

Flat Basset
This is a game your Basset will choose to play spontaneously...generally at bath time, when you want them to move over, or just move for that matter. It involves the Basset flattening itself onto the floor, often with legs spread out. The dog no longer weighs its original weight, but thousands of pounds and is virtually immovable. Suggestions for winning this game may include using a crowbar, renting a back loader, or a crane.

Towel Toss
Some Bassets use towels, others afghans (the blanket kind, not the hound type), or a small blanket. They may hide under it, walk around the house with it on them, peek through it or even toss it about the room.

Tug-O-War
Played with a towel, a rope toy or your laundry. It is not suggested to play this with items you wish them to use occasionally, nor with a young dog that is still developing his correct bite/jaw line.

Kill the Squeaker
When you buy or make a toy, be aware that most Bassets will focus on the squeaker as an item to be removed. It is not the squeak, but the challenged of removal. The same goes for stuffies that have eyes or noses. Most Basset owners find latex and plastic toys a waste of money due to the "removal factor".

Eat the Underwear
Bassets tend to have an undying fascination for underwear and socks, especially if they have been worn. Beware where you leave them or they will be air-conditioned!

Slug
In this game, your Basset becomes very slow to go or do what you would like. You may wonder if the dog is ill. A once "fast Basset" is now painfully sluggish unless food is offered to enhance the speed of operation.

Bumper Arm
This is when you have a Basset that is insistent on getting pats, or more pats NOW. Your arm or elbow will be elevated to new heights with no consideration to what may be in your hand or what your arm may touch, other than the Basset itself.

Sun Bunny
Sunny sidewalks, decks and patios draw packs of Bassets, all happily resting on their sides, or on their backs, legs spread and exposing their BRA (Basset Reproductive Apparatus) to the world. Human companions who need to share the sidewalk, deck or patio need to find ways around them.

Lawn Alligator
There is nothing better than a patch of newly cut lawn in the Basset's fenced in yard. They will find a spot where they can watch the entire yard, and will strike a thinking pose, stomach and head resting onthe lawn, eyes wide open. They can stay in that waiting position for sustained periods, appearing not to move a muscle. Perhaps believing -- although this has never been verified because no one can really understand what a Basset believes -- that they can't be seen as long as they lie low and stay quiet.

Co-Pilot
Most Bassets love to travel and when they are not sleeping, they engage in two primary activities. If the appointed Basset is seated in front, the Basset is generally more interested in leaning against the driver, or laying his head in the driver's lap, rather than attending to anything going on in the world outside the car. The Basset becomes a back-seat driver when he's not in the place of honor next to the driver, and will stand straddled between the back seat and the front seat on the console and divide his time between watching the road and giving the driver an encouraging lick. While each dog may have its own version, it can be a problem if you object to having a co-pilot or back-seat driver; thus, you may want to consider using a crate.
Snickers loves to play Fast Dog, Stereo Chase, Fetch, Tug-O-War, Kill the Squeaker, Eat the Underwear, and Sun Bunny.

My old Basset, Barney, loved to play Bumper Arm, Sun Bunny, and Lawn Alligator.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Loved the article and Bogie plays many of the games. His favorites are "Flat Basset" and "Fetch".

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
Fast Dog This game involves running as fast as your mini legs will carry you, holding your head in ear-flying position. When engaging in this activity, the Basset believes it is running like the wind, faster than a speeding bullet and no one/nothing can keep up with it.
Zephyr third agility class was for the first time with other dogs. Because of the instructores aprhenension of a bassets ability to do agility the first two were more an evaluation of her potential for the sport. At the end of class time tshe and the other two dogs a black lab and a Austriallian Cattledogs where ginven some free play time. The lab takes off running with Zephyr chasing 30 yard into the chase and starting some twenty yard further back the ACD blows by Zephyr as if she was standing still. She stopped dead in her tract stuned, She could not believe that she was not the fast creatur on the planet. The fack up until that point she could only compare herself to Toughynutter A.K.A. "world slowest agility dog" did nothing to dispell the myth. just because as an 8 week old puppy she could out run him,

I don't think she everfully recovered from that experience.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie is good at these games, so of her favorites are:
--Flat Basset (she plays this game when it is time for her to leave her grandma's house and you can't move her)
--Tuf-O-War (we have a rope toy that we have had since Mattie was puppy that we play this game with)
--Kill the Squeaker (THIS IS MATTIE'S FAVORITE GAME, SHE IS GOOD AT IT)
--Bumper Arm & Co-Piolt (she does this game at the same time, as she is sitting co-piolt she bumps your arm so you will rub her chest.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happen to come across this forum post after finding that same page on my own and just had to register to add my basset's , Roscoe, favorites.

Well i guess a short list is which ones he doesnt do which would be stereo chase and hide and seek. I've tried to get him to play hide and sneek, but doesnt look like he's found the full use of his nose just yet.

And as far as flat basset goes, it's normally when he's outside in the sun playing sun bunny and it's time to go inside. But the great thing is I've taught him the meaning of "count to three" and he jumps up and comes right on inside on 2 lol. For those of you who dont get it, when i was growing up my parents would count to three and if they got to three, then i would get a whipping. So one day I was wondering if he would pick up on it since bassets are very smart...it only took him 2 days of no nos to catch on :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Loved the article and the feedback it inspired. Lucy played all but the bite games. Favorites: Hike & seek, tug of war, eat the underwear (or anything stinky), slug (especially in the summertime) and flat basset (at bath time or when it was time to go home from a stroll around the neighborhood that didn't produce attention from her friends). She had her own unique style to co-pilot, standing on a passenger's legs, with toe nails digging in to uncovered flesh, making sure she was at the highest point as if she were ship captain (this occurred only when traveling a few blocks within the neighborhood as it was very unsafe.) She tried to play fast dog with her cousins Bogart the Boxer and ZeeZee the American Bull Dog but gave up when they jumped over top her.

Thanks for posting this article, hope it provokes more response!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Flat Basset is Hazel's favorite game definately!!
She is a good co-pilot 2, I always wonder what people think
when they roll by my car and see the flappy ears and cheeks!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those were great!!
I love to hear them laughing!! I have a 2 story house and usually when I get home at night, they would be laying at the top of the steps inside, so I would sneak in and let them barely get a glimpse of me- as they caught that glimpse- just that second of eye contact- I would start running through the rest of the downstairs- they would start rushing down the steps together and laughing every step of the way until they found me. I would always hide in the same place, but I loved making them laugh.

My Benny used to always be busy...He was my active one. He actually loved to play Soccer with me. I would get 2 of his squeaker toys out of the little toy box and I would place them both on the floor by my feet and I would start kicking them around. He would rush over and grab one from me and start to run with it..then I would kick mine over to him and he would drop the one in his mouth and pick up the one that I kicked to him. We would continue to swap the two toys. He was soo excited to play this game with me. This would go on and on... When he was a baby he chewed the squeakers out, but as he got older, he loved the squeaker for our soccer games. The only one on the list that I cant remember him doing was the towel toss. I really miss him.
Daisy enjoys most of those listed! Co pilot, lawn alligator, sun bunny, bumper arm, flat basset, bite the leg (bennys leg), hide and seek, slug. She is my lazy girl.

·
Registered
186 Posts
what a cute article! toby likes all of those, lately he's really enjoyed face biting with my lab mix. but he LOVES sun bunny, flat basset, co-pilot, and stereo chase. he's so silly. i dont know how i ever lived without one of these guys in my life! he is the most entertaining thing i own!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is all true. Flash loves the lying on the fresh cut lawn. Of course the whole gang are the sun bassets. They love the sun. Either on the deck or just in front of sliding glass door, the sun is their morning coffee.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts