Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On both 11/3 and 11/4 there will be a hunt for bassets at the Elizabethtown Beagle Club. Any basset can enter - neutered or non-registered. Fully fenced grounds, cant lose any hounds. We take small casts (3-6) hounds out turn them loose for one hour. A chance for new dogs to have some fun and watch the running hounds do their thing. No experience needed. These are the first events for a club just starting basset hunts and any basset owner is welcome. Just come and watch or enter your hounds.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What time does it start? I missed the last E-town event because we were out of town- we'll be home that weekend so I'm pretty sure we can run over -

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
entries close at 7 am -- food is available -- the beagle club is cooking for us ---do you need directions??

What time does it start? I missed the last E-town event because we were out of town- we'll be home that weekend so I'm pretty sure we can run over -[/b]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Heading away from Elizabethtown and towards the Mt. Gretna Road on Trail Road, do I take the right at the top of the hill at the Beagle Club sign? If that won't get me there, then I do need directions-

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The website for the AHBA is www.bassetnet.com -- the local club does not have a web site
Not sure what info you need -- we will draw to see which hounds run together (3-6 in a cast) --each cast goes out for one hour, they we catch them. During the hour, the judge scores them on how well they hunt, find, and run rabbit -- these are no kill events. The winner of each cast goes out again for final placings. No experience needed, if you can walk your hound out to the running area and release it, that's about all you need to do. The hounds have alot of fun, and get a chance to work along with some fine hunting bassets. Pinkwhip came to a hunt on Labor Day weekend and maybe she can jump in and add something here.
You can call me at 610-942-2840 if you want, or just post a question.
Don't be scared by thinking you might interfere with the other hounds and louse up the event -- we get new people and hounds often and never have any problems

·
Registered
91 Posts
"FUN" is definitely the key word - a total blast. I don't think I can express enough how laid back, welcoming and completely open to freaked out newbies this group is.

You've got to try it. Even though there was judging, it was very casual. Basically, it seems like you can take it as seriously as you want. From one perspective, it was more like just walking along with our dogs and talking - I was the only freaked out person there.

There were also a lot more women then I imagined there would be - and people, like me, who are looking for fun things to do with their dogs versus serious hunters who would think I was in the way!

A different perspective is that you can have fun AND seriously compete because a lot of people there do know what they are doing and they have a ton of good information to help you work with your dog and you can see how much they love bassets.

I made the assumption going in that every one knew what they were doing, but I met quite a few beginners and people who had just started last year. Also, some of the dogs know what they are doing, but some don't - so your dog can be focused or a goofball and still fit in. My dog Gunther just walked along with the people.

Hope you come!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It sounds like you had a great time!! I just wish you were a whole lot closer - my guys would have a ball.

It's wonderful that you've found something to do that both hound & human enjoys so much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks! That was all great information.

I am thinking about driving up. I don't think Lucien would be any good at this (unless they were hunting for bacon cheezburgers or apple pie) but I think Lilly might be able to do it. Lilly came from a puppymill in Missouri but I suspect she may have been used for hunting at some point. Her dewclaws are removed and she is par excellence at treeing squirrels. Sometimes we spend the weekend at House of Puddles (www.houseofpuddles.org) and Lilly is one of leaders in hunting on the HOP grounds.

However, neither of them really knows any commands except sit, and they've never been out with me in any kind of event like this before. Do any of you have a feel for how much walking/exercise is involved? Lilly is strong but she is the shortest basset in the world (about half the height of a regular basset!) and she is also a couple of pounds overweight (she's 40.5 and ought to be about 37). Also I have knee problems and can't walk really long distances.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Elizabethtown Beagle club is on Trail Rd. Between E-Town rd and RT 241. If you are coming from E-town Rd you will turn right at the top of the hill. If you are coming from Rt 241 you will turn left at the top of the hill. Follow the lane all the way to the end, the club will be on your left. If you have any questions you can call me at 717-376-5002
Thanks
Tim Bishop

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
T.Bishop- thanks for confirming the turnoff- I know where that is-

Agnes and Lucille- I hope you come so that I won't be the only clueless person there!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have many people with mobility problems entering hounds we have never had a problem -- the hounds stay in a group so they are easy to catch (generally). There is always somebody to help if needeed. Most of the people, at the end, will grab any hound near them, so other people dont have to chase them

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me see how our week goes and we may drive up and join y'all. It really sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for all the info everybody!! Maybe we can represent DC!

Melynda, Lucien & Lilly (Lucille's too frail to come)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I hate they don't have events like this close to my area. I would LOVE to take Fred to a sporting event. I think he would do very well and the exercise would do him real good in terms of his using his natural instincts.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bassets love field work--- Belinda will tell you. she was working Molly in obedience, but one hunt and Molly lost all interest in obedience training -- she became a rabbit hound!!!!!!

I hate they don't have events like this close to my area. I would LOVE to take Fred to a sporting event. I think he would do very well and the exercise would do him real good in terms of his using his natural instincts.[/b]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts