Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Elizabethtown Beagle Club will be holding a fun hunt for bassets on March 3rd -entries close at 8am.
We will take small packs of bassets into the fully fenced enclosure and they will have about one hour to run around and perhaps find a rabbit. There will be some hunting field bassets to help with the rabbit running. No rabbits will be killed.
Breakfast and lunch will be available. Any basset -- even neutered or un-registered hounds is welcome.
Come see what bassets were bred for and let your hound have some fun !!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Anyone who can go, should. I don't think you'd regret it. My friend has been several times to the one held in Mass in the fall. She has told me what fun she, her husband, and thier three Bassets all have. I am NOT missing it next year!

·
Registered
465 Posts
That sounds like fun! Button has one question: How can you guarantee that no rabbits willl be harmed. (Him might be fat, but him fast!)

Seriously: we'd love to come. but I have one question: Once they have that "chase in their blood," would they want to break out of their fenced in yard to pursue rabbits?

I would love n othing better than to have my boys run free till they were exhausted!

Talk to us!

Thanks!
P.S. Button and Elmer are neutered!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Midgie would love it. Would they allow basset mixes?[/b]
As long as it looks pretty much like a basset, we could let it in.

as for the rabbits, -- I can't guarantee that they wont find a sick, or dumb bunny. Any healthy, intelligent rabbit will not get caught by a basset. The scent hounds are only for keeping the game moving, not killing it. Bunnies live in a small area and run in a small circle. If you are hunting, you stay where the dog jumped the rabbit and soon here comes dinner. The rabbits at both clubs are fit and in good shape. The other side of running them frequently is that the activity keeps the predators away. Also the grounds are maintained fior rabbit cover and food

1 - 5 of 5 Posts