Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally sold our summer resort, and now wanting to hit the road a bit. Looking at the Scamp 16 camper and need a bassetable tow vehicle. Don't want to have to lift the dogs into a truck, and don't want to break the bank on gas when we aren't towing. Looking at v6 SUV's. Any one out there with an idea? My Outback is a 4 and won't do the job, and I have heard the new V6 is really not enough either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a coincidence, I just brought home the 13' Scamp from MN this weekend, long round trip from VA.

Had no problems towing it with my Toyota Avalon, though I hear the 16' is closer to 2klbs (empty). Shouldn't be hard to find a vehicle that can tow 2klbs. Personally, I'm looking at the Highlander that can tow 5klbs for future towing needs.

As for a potential solutions, there are a number of dog ramps (foldable, etc.) that the dog can climb up/down as needed. I recommend googling or browsing Amazon for options.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the deluxe with bigger bed? That is what I would like....have to admit still trying to sell it to DH. Most of the ramps I have found go up the back of the car/truck. If we are hitched and just doing a rest stop, I am thinking they wouldn't work so well....and one more thing to carry. Highlander is nice, but really pricey....sister has a Honda Pilot....have also heard the Rav 4 6cyl. could work.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
our tow vehicle is GMC 3500 van long wheel base was a conversion that has most of the conversions remove. Inside 8 crates 4 30" long crates stacked on top of 4 36"long crates. Beside pulling a 26' trailer, it is the Go to van for shows when carrying more than four dogs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you get the deluxe with bigger bed? That is what I would like....have to admit still trying to sell it to DH. Most of the ramps I have found go up the back of the car/truck. If we are hitched and just doing a rest stop, I am thinking they wouldn't work so well....and one more thing to carry. Highlander is nice, but really pricey....sister has a Honda Pilot....have also heard the Rav 4 6cyl. could work.
I got the queen bed size, (layout 2 with bathroom). It reduced the size of storage/cabinets. I found the cushions to be pretty stiff, so I ordered a queen 3" augmenting mattress to lay on top.

I once researched ramps for one of my bassets who has trouble jumping up on things, could have sworn I ran across folding ramps that lead up to a seat. Amazon had a variety (one example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HRKQWA?aaxitk=1cKeR5QVyVuYfq6Nd.hslw&pd_rd_i=B008HRKQWA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=5582544217303223519&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=rear+seat+folding+dog+ramp&hsa_cr_id=8814906140901)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOWZA Mikey....that is a lot of hauling!

Ted....will check out the ramp, viewed a Boler 13 (not for sale) down the street...close to
Scamp 13. Will check out your link re ramps....but looking at the Ford Escapes now...that is what they were pulling the Boler with....made a 6cy until 2012
Like the big bed option on the newer scamps....most seem to replace cushions with foam mattress. I read the fiberglass rv forum too....Trudy could have a lower bunk to herself....

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
currently 7 adults 5 puppies most bigger than 1/2 the adults and sometimes Vina who is larger than every one else.

life before the full size van 12 in a minivan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts