Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tend to feed Basil his daily food in two parts, ie, breakfast and then dinner. A friend at work however thinks that this is likely wrong as at 14-15 months he should only be eating once a day. I think this is wrong as he isnt a regular dog and a one big dinner is likely to be a cause of bloat that i have read about.

Could anyone please advise on best eating practices for my lil guy?

Ta

Nat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Rufus, our 19 month old has decided he doesn't want his breakfast anymore. I've been doctoring it up to get him to eat it but he usually just spits out the (expensive, grain free!!) dog food - or eats around it -then waits until dinner.

Jill

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Twice a day is good.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Both of our dogs (basset hound and gsd) are prone to bloat so we feed them three times a day on our vet's advice. We do several other things to help minimize the risk but I have come to believe that the main factors in bloat are genetic as well as stress and that there is only so much one can do to prevent it. We keep Mylanta in the house at all times in case of a problem. In so far as how often you feed your dog, in my opinion it is a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I also feed Rusty & Stickers 3 meals a day. One cup at each meal because of my fear of bloat. I definitely think twice daily is good. Once is too much food at one time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Many thanks for the thoughts, i think twice a day is going to be best and shall contine doing that, does seem more natural AM and PM, i know i wouldnt last on once a day!

Nat

·
Registered
12 Posts
we have a self feeder outside and she does not seem to overeat. she is inside most of the day and all nite. is this ok or do we need to take that away and go to several times a day? thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
we have a self feeder outside and she does not seem to overeat. she is inside most of the day and all nite. is this ok or do we need to take that away and go to several times a day? thanks.[/b]

I feed my 3 hounds twice a day, but sometimes it takes them all day to eat it. Today in fact, it's been over 8 hours since I fed this morning, but they haven't even touched any food yet. What will happen, is that they will eat in another hour or so, and then will act like I haven't fed them all day, and will want more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would ask your friend at work if he or she would like to only eat once a day! Twice a day is much better .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jed gets fed twice a day. Also, If he's just come in from playing, I'll give him his meal in two parts with a moment in between, so he won't inhale it all at once. Jed's a gobbler.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stomps (ATB) often wouldn't eat his breakfast. He was a rare basset--a skinny one. So, to compensate my inclination was to feed him more when he did eat. But I had to make myself give him his usual amount, for fear of bloat and also because I wanted him to be hungry for his morning meal. If I got truly desperate, I fed him Mighty Dog, which he couldn't resist. The vet said that was better than starving. So keep up the twice-a-day feedings, but don't be tempted to give him more if he doesn't eat one of his meals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts