Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 23rd, Pilgrim Basset club will be hosting a seminar and demonstration on field work with bassets. I will give a talk on what bassets do in the field and how the different field events work. There will be a demo of bassets running hare. Come out and meet some new people --- ALL bassets are welcome. The event will be at Hidden Meadow Farm on the Webster highway -- this is a working dairy farm and they make their own, very good ice cream.

Hope to meet some of you there -- Dean Wickwire

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, there is a 40 acre fully fenced area for the hounds to try and find the hare -- no dogs will be lost

·
Registered
939 Posts
if you go bring a pillow and blanket cause if you listen to Dean talk you will be put to sleep real fast!!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Am planning on going. Looking forward to something finally in NH.
Hope we get a good turnout.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not heard anything about how many people are coming --- we want to get started early since it will be hot -- the hounds will have a good time -- Marty has a large fenced pen we are going to use after a quick demo in the small pen with only 2 hounds-- we can probably turn all the hounds loose in the large pen.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would have liked to have gone to this, but we're leaving for FL this Sunday and won't be home until the 26th......

·
Registered
58 Posts
We had a great time yesterday. Thanks Dean for coming up to NH to show us what it's all about. We also learned that even "couch potatoes" can chase that mechanical rabbit. I wasn't able to go out in the field because of recent eye surgery but loved watching the mechanical rabbit chase. We even found out that the "trained" dogs goof off on occasion. :)

All in all the weather held up for us and it wasn't bloody hot for the dogs.
Hope we can do it again.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you had a good time -- too bad the running dogs couldn't do better in the large enclosure, but at least some nervous mommies found that Fido can disappear into the woods and will return on his own. Bassets are superbly equipped to find you -- when they want to. Looks like there is enough interest to try a hunt test in that area.
The mechanical rabbit was fun to watch -- some people never knew their bassets could move that fast. I think Wench got too close to it in the beginning and knew it was a fake, so she went looking for her own rabbit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts