Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How do any of you teach your Basset-folk to not pick up things when out, such as litter and the like, or, if they do pick up how do you coax or have them obey to drop it?

Unfortunately Basil is a right scavenger when we are out and i find it so frustrating that it can really upset me and spoil our walks that i get quite angry and march him home. It can be anything like paper bags that might have had something from a bakers in it (i mention that as that was two victims earlier this morning) other times it can be fast food discards, and to be honest, things i dont even know what they are as i catch him lunging and gulping too quickley at times.

I appreciate it is 'in their blood' but it must be able to be influenced by the owner surely? I really dont want to muzzle him as that gives off the wrong message. I had a brief conversation with a Beagle owener recently who was with her mother and children and seemed upset that other owners tended to avoid her Beagle simply because he wears a muzzle. Owners naturally assume the Beagle is aggressive and nasty because of the muzzle yet the owener advised he has to wear it as he picks up things and recently had to have an op to remove a sock. I myself have had to have Basil on some antibiotics and painkillers after he had an abcess presumablly from something he had picked up outside that got stuck in his gums, it resulted in a swollen gum and pus forming.

Any thoughts or help much appreciated!

Nat.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Hi,

How do any of you teach your Basset-folk to not pick up things when out, such as litter and the like, or, if they do pick up how do you coax or have them obey to drop it?

Nat.[/b]

To do so will take too much time in this forum but these links will help but keep in mind vigillance is key, stoping the dog before they have the item, with "a trained leave it" comand or working on perfecting the impulse control of the dog as outlined in the "it Yer Choice" video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc" target="_blank">Its Yer Choice"

Teaching "Leave It"</a>

[url="http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/leave-it.html"]The Leave It Command

Dog Training Command - Train It to Leave It!

Out and Leave It

some of the secrets to getting good results from this type of training is

Is a high rate of reward. everytime the dog makes the right choice it is highly rewarded

I also find it benifitial to occasional to often to reward the dog with the food or orject avoided and an aditional reward as well. This creates the idea in the dogs mind that even with super highly self rewarding object if they leave it they can still get the object and something else. It helps create the impression it is better to listen to mum or dad because I will get more than if I try and sneak off with something.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only way I can get Rosco to do any tricks he knows is to give him treats. I buy them bulk at the grocery store so I can give him small treats without going bankrupt. When we go on walks we have a seat harness that goes around his chest because I generally have to restrain him from the things I don't want him to get into and don't want to hurt his neck by stopping him with the leash. Usually the first half of his walk he doesn't listen very well but by the end of it we are doing ok. I'm a pretty big guy though so controlling him is possible for me, if you have a full grown dog I can imagine it would be a lot more difficult.

One other thing we did was get a shock collar. I know some people feel strongly against using these, but I will say that I have only had to actually shock him three times in the last two months. Our collar also has a warning signal only option, so you can reinforce the behavior you want without hurting your dog. Rosco usually doesn't wear his but whenever he misbehaves badly we will put it on him, and even without creating the signal he becomes much more obedient.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts