Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and the owner of a beautiful 5-month old basset hound. Her name is Lola and she is an absolute gem. I've owned other dogs in the past, but now I know that basset hounds is my breed!

I have 2 questions:

1. Lola is not a drooler, but I read that puppies in general don't drool. At what age do basset hounds start drooling (if they are going to be droolers)?

2. I'm from Victoria, BC, and know that there is a basset hound walk once a year in Beacon Hill Park. Does anyone know the date?

It's nice to be amongst people who are just as crazy about their hounds as I am!! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Welcome! I don't know at what age bassets start to drool. Yogi hardly ever drools. Hope you will post some pictures of Lola!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I don't know at what age bassets start to drool. Yogi hardly ever drools. Hope you will post some pictures of Lola![/b]
I would post some pics, but I get the message "Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is writeable." :blink:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
First you must upload your pictures to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. After you do that copy the very bottom line that says IMG Code and put it right into your post. I like to resize my pictures before I put them into the post which you can also do on Photobucket by clicking the edit button and then the resize button. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm a newish hound owner too and I'm in Victoria as well. My basset is nearly 1 yr old and I'm noticing big time drool these days. I've been slimed a few times today.

I don't know much about the bh community here so I can't help you with the BH Walk date.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My little guy, Francis, has never been a drooler unless he can smell something delectable or he can hear cellophane opening (Franny's been blind for a few years so he relies on aural and olfactory clues) I opened a package of film the other day and I noticed as I was opening the cellophane cover that Francis was drooling big time...talk about Pavlov's dogs!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome-----the members here can't be beat and Lola will have you trained in no time at all!
don

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for a basset hound

Hello all,
I live in Victoria BC and I am looking for someone who has a basset hound (age doesn't matter). My partner and I are looking to get a dog, and i used to have a basset hound and would like to get one again because they are so sweet!!!
My partner always had dogs, but never had one of those sweet bassets. His main concern is that they drool, and he would like to see them in real life before getting one.

I am looking for someone in the Victoria area who has a basset hound and wouldn't mind meeting with us, maybe for 15 min so my partner can see one in real life and fall in love with it :) .

Please email [email protected] if you wouldn't mind helping out. Thanks!!
Olga

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Lola is not a drooler, but I read that puppies in general don't drool. At what age do basset hounds start drooling (if they are going to be droolers)?
In general females tend to be dryier mouthed than males. The drooliness of dog relates to it conformation specifically how pendulus the lower lip becomes. for some this can happen very early and other not until two or three. And still other it never happens. Also other factor as the dog ages can effect drooliness. Toughynutter was never tightlipped and a dynamic slinger of drool but became world class when he had to have a molar removed.

None of the females I have owned were what I would call droolers however I have met some that were.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am looking for someone in the Victoria area who has a basset hound and wouldn't mind meeting with us, maybe for 15 min so my partner can see one in real life and fall in love with it :) .

Please email [email protected] if you wouldn't mind helping out. Thanks!!
Olga
I'm in the Vancouver area, and there is a basset meetup group here. I believe there are some members of the group who are from Victoria. Maybe if you post something on the meetup site, someone may be able help you arrange a basset meeting.

This is the site: The Vancouver Basset Hound Meetup Group (Vancouver, BC) - Meetup.com

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning was only an average drooler--more of a slinger really--until recently when he had to have a molar removed. He's 12, and I've noticed that as his lips droop more the drool increases. But it's still not as much drool as other breeds. I just give my visitors a lap towel when they walk in the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts