Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been gone from this site for awhile, but now that Maizy and Jake are senior hounds they seem to have those aging problems and we have come back to the experts.
Newest problem is with Maizy--a few UTIs, treated with Clavamox, but her symptom was not just frequency but urinating in her sleep. It usually wakes her up at 3am, at which point I clean her up, take her out and leave her in another clean bed. Today she did it at 3am and again in her sleep when I woke her at 6. We are holding the water after 10 (she is hydrated). She does not do this during the day and doesn't seem to need to go out more than normal. We have resigned ourselves to this being an aging problem, but I notice some reference to meds and also wonder if there is a diaper that fits bassets (we have tried the store brands to no avail) that might work for nighttime.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
her symptom was not just frequency but urinating in her sleep. It usually wakes her up at 3am, at which point I clean her up, take her out and leave her in another clean bed. Today she did it at 3am and again in her sleep when I woke her at 6. We are holding the water after 10 (she is hydrated). She does not do this during the day and doesn't seem to need to go out more than normal. We have resigned ourselves to this being an aging problem,[/b]
It may be very treatable. I have a beagle going on year ten of treatment without a reoccurance. The lack of female hormones can lead to a problem general referred to a Spay Incontinence, It general happens in older females but is can effect younger ones as well and even males. Hormone replacement therapy has proven helpful but comes with a lot of potential side effects.

PPA does not have the side effects of hormone replacement. It is available under the trade name "Proin" for use in dogs.

Urinary Incontinence
Urinary incontinence is a condition seen in dogs but not reported in cats or other species besides humans. Usually, it occurs in females, and most often in the spayed female dog. ...
This condition is characterized by the dog loosing control over the ability to hold urine. Typically, a 'wet spot' is noted where the dog was sleeping, or the dog itself will be wet in the hind quarters after sleep or laying down.

When the dog relaxes, so does the sphincter muscle of the bladder, which controls urination itself. This is the same muscle in humans used to stop urination mid-stream. When this muscle relaxes too much, urine is then allowed to leak out of the bladder. Some affected dogs can dribble urine while awake and walking around.

The reason behind the incontinence in the spayed or neutered dog, is due to the lack of estrogen hormone (female) or testosterone hormone (male). In the female dog, estrogen hormone is responsible for providing tone to the bladder sphincter muscle. When spayed, this hormone is no longer being produced in the amount it was prior to the removal of the ovaries (where the estrogen hormone is produced).

Small amounts of estrogen hormone is produced by the adrenal glands (small glands that are located right next to the kidneys). Most of the time, this is enough estrogen to provide bladder sphincter tone. However, in some cases it is not. These dogs then require medications to support bladder sphincter tone.[/b]

The Leakers: Disorders of Micturition and Continence

Urinary- Incontinence in Dogs

Fwiw pads and panties used for bitches in season estus can be use for incontinence as well.
Simple Solution Disposable Diapers for Dogs

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I agree. Our old Border Collie mix bitch used to leak in her sleep, putting her on hormone pills (our only option back then) solved the problem. Fairly inexpensive, too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Spencer started having "leaking" problems at night about a year or so ago (he's now 13 yrs). He is currently taking Cystolomine, which supposedly tightens the sphincter muscle. I'm not sure if females are different, but this medication sure has done the trick for Spencer. Since he has been on it, we have had NO accidents! Good Luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi, we have an older female rescue that can't be housetrained any better than she is, we've tried various drugs and behaviour management already. We love her so much, so we're managing with a couple of washable diapers.

This one is perfect for little basset female butts-don't buy the expensive pads that are sold at the pet store, just buy cheap no-name wingless overnight pads for women.

Sally doesn't mind one little bit having the diaper on, I think she thinks it's a pair of designer jeans. Good luck with your pups!

Cindy in Toronto

·
Registered
251 Posts
When Maggie Mae (ATB) got very old and couldn't hold her bladder we tried several options. Her problem was she would pee full bladder out of stress when we were out of the house. The best solution for us was the denim pants sold at PetSmart for dogs in heat. We inserted a Poise Pad in there. They were very absorbent and held the urine. The size we used aren't online at their website so I don't think they make that particular size anymore. We used the Ultra size and it measured 11.28 inches. So go with the closest size. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much! I knew there would be expertise here--and I needed a reason for my vet not to do the UTI again (which I do not think it is).
We are willing to put up with all we have to for her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts