Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an investigation underway for an animal shelter manager who is accused by citizens of committing cruelty and breaking state law. The Harris County attorney's final report on the investigation of Dawn Blackmar regarding whether she broke state humane laws as director of Harris County animal control is supposed to be finished by the end of this week.

One notable case of cruelty was that of a basset hound, named Hope by citizens, which she refused to turn over to rescues before the 3 day holding period for emergency vet care and promptly euthanized at the end of the 3 day holding period without contacting a rescue first. A basset rescue was willing to take him and they did not even bother to call.

It is normal for a shelter to waive such a holding period in the case of animals in dire need of vet care in order to save taxpayer money.

Citizens demand prosecution of Dawn Blackmar for breaking state law - Houston animal shelters | Examiner.com

If you agree that this woman should have to face the consequences of her actions I'd recommend contacting the officials in charge, especially if you live in the Houston area.

County Attorney Says Laws Violated at Harris County Animal Control
"They are shooting the dogs and dropping them on the floor, shoot another dog drop it on the floor and there would be stacks of dogs," former animal control vet-tech Rhonda Bridges said.
"Dogs were euthanized in front of each other, mother dogs in front of the puppies, sometimes the puppies were done before the mother dogs," a former animal control employee said.
This woman deserves to be criminally charged.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This makes me very sad but also very angry at the thought that these people are out there and some of them get away scott free.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Furious and incredibly sad.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update...

Harris County Attorney Wraps Up Probe Into Euthanasia Violations

The video is very hard to watch, but does show the basset hound in question. Will say it again, it's very hard to watch, even for me and I generally can handle things like that.

While Ryan wouldn't release the final report to us, he did share what his office found after an eight-month review.
According to the County Attorney's probe:
-- Cats were pulled out of kennel cages, injected in the chest cavity and then dropped on the floor to die.
-- Needles were being re-used
-- A live Chow was placed in a freezer filled with dead animals
-- The shelter has a euthanasia rate of 82 percent.
The good news is the story of the basset hound did get the attention of the government officials enough to force them to make this woman start waiving the law to give dogs like the basset hound to rescues.

Worth noting this woman is still employed with a six figure salary. She should be in jail if you ask me. SIX FIGURES of tax payers dollars...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6 Posts
This just makes me sick! How can anybody be so cold-hearted?! I can't believe what she has gotten away with. It just makes me furious and speechless

·
Registered
790 Posts
The world is a sick place sometimes. There are few words that express just how wrong this is. It makes me sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the video they actually say that laws are no longer being broken there, which seems to be their justification for letting her keep her job.

Makes about as much sense as saying, "Well that guy robbed a bank and shot 2 people, but he's not doing it anymore so it doesn't matter."

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is just horrific!

The news video was just hard to watch and cannot believe this so-called doctor is still working there. She should be locked up.... PERIOD!

God bless those poor souls in that shelter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not going to read that article, because I just can't deal with animal cruelty. From what you are all saying though this is one of the most horrific things I've heard about. In my dream world these people would be tried for murder, because that's what it is. My heart breaks for these innocent animals who lived such hard lives and had no glimmer of hope. I'm so happy I rescued my baby and I'm tearing up thinking about what could have happened to her. I don't know how people are capable of doing that sort of thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts