Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bassett does not have the most common feature on the face of a basset with the white going up between the eyes and the head… I’ve had a hard time finding pictures of bassets that look like mine… Most of them have the white going up the face. Is mine less desirable because she doesn’t have that? Or possibly rare and more desirable? Just curious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Bassett does not have the most common feature on the face of a basset with the white going up between the eyes and the head… I’ve had a hard time finding pictures of bassets that look like mine… Most of them have the white going up the face. Is mine less desirable because she doesn’t have that? Or possibly rare and more desirable? Just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Many of ours didn't have a blaze and it wasn't hugely popular back here in the UK. One of mine, successful in the ring as a puppy (top puppy in the breed that year UK) before she was exported to Holland by her owner, was called 'monkey face' which was really rather cruel!

Here is a head on photo of my Canadian-bred UK Champion - and yes, she managed to take her title, without a blaze!! I suppose the bit of white over her muzzle helped in her case. I had others (no photos immediately available to add here) who were all brown on their face.

I found one photo, below here of a group of mine, right at the top of the photo, who was born here in the UK, out of another Canadian-bred but sired by a British-bred male, who had no white on her face. The others came back with us from Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
from akc conformation standard "Color: Any recognized hound color is acceptable and the distribution of color and markings is of no importance. "

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always had Bassets with a white face as you described above. However, last year I fell in love with a beautiful little 12 week old girl (Dixie) who has a mahogany colored face, black body with a splash of white near her neck, brown and white legs and feet. My other two girls are the typical tri color and red and white with the white faces. I get more compliments on Dixie with people stating "now that's a beautiful dog." And I have to say in all my years of having Bassets, I have to agree, she is definitely the most beautiful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts