Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a Basset Breeder to me? My husband and I have a breeder in mind as we would like to get a puppy by Christmas. I just want to check out a few more options before I commit as I want to make sure we are making the right choice.

I am in Alberta Canada, so anyone who is recommended will probably have to be willing to ship their puppies and establish a relationship via phone and email.

Please let me know if anyone knows anyone.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If you pm me, I will give you the name of a lady in Alberta. She will refer you to an excellent breeder...where are you in Alberta?

Sandy :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can anyone recommend a Basset Breeder to me? My husband and I have a breeder in mind as we would like to get a puppy by Christmas. I just want to check out a few more options before I commit as I want to make sure we are making the right choice.

I am in Alberta Canada, so anyone who is recommended will probably have to be willing to ship their puppies and establish a relationship via phone and email.

Please let me know if anyone knows anyone.

Thanks
[/b]
You must be very careful which breeder you get your puppy from. Please make sure that you get ALL the health clearances from them. Also, be very wary of those who advertise in the Calgary Herald newspaper. I got my two boys from a "breeder" near Lethbridge just over 6 years ago, when I was new to Bassets and stupidly didn't even think to ask about health testing. Well, since then Sherlock has lost both of his eyes to glaucoma. I have informed the "breeder" about this and she has seen all his vet paperwork regarding it, and she is not interested. She is still breeding bassets with no health tests. Quite frankly, I don't know how she sleeps at night.
Anyway, sorry for going on here, but as you can imagine it is a sensitive subject for me! There are good breeders out there, you just have to make sure you do your homework. I hope you find the perfect pupster for your home! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No, a health guarantee isn't the same thing as health testing. Most health guarantees are essentially worthless because they don't cover genetic disorders that develop in mature dogs. Glaucoma is one example of such a disorder.

For bassets, the bare minimum of health testing should include an eye examination by a veterinary ophthalmologist (often called an "angle check"). This examination should be performed on both parents, and the breeder should be willing to discuss the results with you. The breeder should also be able to tell you the name of their veterinary ophthalmologist.

Here is a link to the Basset Hound Club of America's Health Policy. This discusses other types of health testing that responsible breeders are encouraged to perform on dogs that they use for breeding.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Health guarantee and health testing are not the same.

Health guarantees are usually only good for a short amount of time. Usually a few weeks for your vet to give the once over on the dog.

Health testing is what REPUTABLE breeders do to make sure that poor inherent traits are not bred into their lines.

If I could suggest anything to you it would be to take a little time to learn the differences between a backyard breeder, a puppy mill, and a reputable breeder. Here's a great place to start:

http://www.oldefashion.com/BuyersChoice.html

I would be very skeptical of any breeder that did not ask YOU a lot of questions before they agreed to give you one of their dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, super big thanks to all of you, please keep bringing on the advise. But I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Houndie, who just saved me from purchasing a puppy from a breeder who apparently is not all they claim to be.

I have read a lot about backyard breeders, but I am thankful for the warnings. As this is my first dog, I just didn't know they could be such pretty wolves in sheep clothing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, super big thanks to all of you, please keep bringing on the advise. But I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Houndie, who just saved me from purchasing a puppy from a breeder who apparently is not all they claim to be.

I have read a lot about backyard breeders, but I am thankful for the warnings. As this is my first dog, I just didn't know they could be such pretty wolves in sheep clothing.
[/b]

You are very welcome. I am sure you will find a terrific puppy soon, bred by someone who really cares about the breed. Welcome to the wonderful world of bassets!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not when you get a dog that should count. As a breeder, I can't time my breedeing to produce a dog when people want them. I can only breed when my females are ready and hope the breeding takes. Far too often a planned breeding doesn't take and we have to regroup and try again at the female's next heat cycle. A reputable breeder will rarely have a puppy available for the holidays or when you want it. Nature doesn't work that way. If one does offer you a dog for the holidays, I would say that they are most likely breeding too many dogs for the wrong purpose.

I would also caution you about buying a dog at the holidays. It's not usually a good time to introduce a new pet to a household. Far too often during this time people are not in a routine. Pets, especially those new the the house, need a routine. People usually have decorations for the holidays that are a super temtation for puppies to chew on or, worst, eat. I will not sell a dog to anyone during the holidays and very few reputable breeders will either. In fact, I don't know of any rescue groups that will either. Our local animal shelters have a period of time during the holidays when they won't release animals to new homes either.

You are adding a new member to your family, not a new appliance. Find the one that is right for you and enjoy him or her when that dog is available, not according to your schedule.

The Basset Hound of America site - http://basset-bhca.org/ - does list three breeders in Alberta. I personally don't know them or anything about them. By being members of the BHCA they should abide to the club's code of ethics, but I can't speak for them or their practices. It might be a place to start. Here are the listings from the BHCA site:

Ardrossan
Wilson, Bonnie
Phone: 780-968-1464
Fax: 780-968-1495
Email: [email protected]

Greenhalgh, Joanna
Phone: 780-968-1464
Fax: 780-968-1495

Onoway
Clendenning, Tim/Lisa
Phone: 780-967-5131
Fax:

There may be some on the forum who know more about one or more of these breeders. You could also check with the Basset Hound Club of Canada for breeders. Their site is
http://www.bassethoundclubofcanada.ca/ if you are interested.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My little rescue westie was obviously a pup who was bred as a xmas present. I got her at 11months and I was her fourth owner. I think that tells you a LOT!!! :(

Think you have had some wonderful advice on here. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to get a Basset by Christmas as we have been waiting about 7 months to make sure all the external surroundings were puppy appropriate. I am not wanting a dog a Christmas present. Thank you for the advise though, I will keep that in mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts