Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local Barnes & Nobel to find a good book on bassets. Well I was surprised that they didn't carry a singe one! And even PetSmart didnt have any ... they only had a magazine (which I did pick up). Anyway, my only option is to get it/some off of the internet. So any good book suggestions for a basset mom-to-be?

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Basset Hound Owner's Surival Guide (Owner's Guides to a Happy, Healthy Pet) by Diane Morgan (Hardcover - Mar 4, 1998)

I think this is a good book, especially if you`d like to know what it can be like to be owned by a Basset Hound.

You can get it from Amazon.com. If you order it there, be sure to go to Amazon through the Cyberhound startpage!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've got The Basset Hound by Joan Urban. Didn't really find it very informative. In fact if it wasn't for the pics of Bassets, it could almost have been written about any breed.

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
for dogs books I reccommend Dogwise

1. I am not big on most of the dog breed books because mostly they are the same rehash of the same old tired puppy training- raising- breeding advice that is the same for every breed and very little breed specific information

Heather has a list of recoomended books on this site Basset Hound Books if you use her link part of the purchase price from amazon.com goes to pay to maintain this site.

The Basset Hound Owner's Survival Guide. will give you a more realistic picture of basset ownership from a humor based slant.

[ February 21, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you get Soffi in that book? I have lots of basset books but unfortunately they're all in storage right now. Most were given to us as gifts.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I can't recommend any different informational books, but for Basset enjoyment, I recommend "Maggie's Way" and "The Tao of Maggie," both by Bill Stanton. Lots of pics of his Basset Maggie with sayings & quotes to match. I think both are available on amazon.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not breed specific but I have found the Dog Listener by Jan Fennell to be very effective in training Lily.

·
Registered
939 Posts
How about "Training you Basset to Hunt" by Billy Milko of Pinehawk Kennels.it's really not a book just do the opposite of what i do and you will have a Kennel full of Field Champions in no time!!! the cost for this book is still trying to be determined by the publishers,i was trying to get them to sell one book for five million dollars,they were thinking more like i should pay people not to read it!!!

[ February 22, 2006, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: pinehawk ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Good Owners, Great Dogs " by Brian Killcommons, and anything by the Volhard's are great general training books. Diane Morgan's book is good (there are 2 pictures and anecdotes of my late grrrl Nellie) as is "The official Book of the Basset Hound" by Robert E. Booth (approved by The Basset Hound Club of America, Inc.). Good luck and happy reading and learning, Belinda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts