Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that a part of a Bassets daily duties includes the task of making their owners just shake their heads in disbelief, causing them to then erupt in hysterical laughter
Here is my story..and feel free to share you Basset bloopers as well!
Yesterday we went to a family cookout at my Aunt and Uncle's house. While we were getting ready, my hubby asked if he thought we should take Snickers. I was kinda opposed to it for I just wanted to go hang out in the pool and have a few "adult" beverages. Well, he finally broke me down, but the deal was that HE would have to watch her. (what good that did, cause guess who ended up doing it anyway:mad:) So we arrived at my Aunt and Uncles, and tied her around the clothesline pole. We then proceeded to grab some food while my Mom kept an eye on her. A few minutes later my Aunt told me to let her run free (they have a huge fenced in yard for their dog) Well, that was what she needed. After a few laps, and some investigating of new territory, my cousins son came out from the deck (it is gated off around the pool) and Snickers decided she wanted to meet the people who were sitting on the deck, so in she went...well, I ran around to the gate on the other side cause I feared she would steal peoples food, and when she saw me she turned around and SPLASH, right into the pool. My aunt immediately jumped in after her, and the little bugger swam right over to the steps where I picked her up. She was startled at first, but for the rest of the evening the little brat tried to sneak in the gate again!
It just made me shake my head and laugh hysterically...what a goober!:p

·
Registered
186 Posts
so funny you say that! on sunday night i took toby over to my best friends new house and brought toby to play with their american bulldog puppy. they started running laps around her pool and were having a blast playing. i stepped inside for a minute thinking the dogs were fine because there were still people outside. well apparently toby went to drink out of the pool and layla(the bulldog) pushed him in! my best friends dad had to dive in after toby because i guess he's not a good swimmer. im just glad someone was out there to save him, but wow. what a silly dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's hard to pinpoint the funniest thing one of our bassets has ever done, because they make us laugh out loud at least twice a day. But it looks like a couple of people have posted water-themed bloopers, so I'll follow suit. Ms. Daisy *loves* water. We have two ponds on our property that she loves to splash around in. She can't really swim, but she wades around in the shallows and pounces on imaginary things in the water. When Daisy was only a year old, she had to have surgery on her knee for a luxating patella. The surgeon gave implicit instructions that we ensure she didn't put any pressure on that leg or utilize it for a month after the procedure (yeah, right...). Before she had the surgery we researched different activities for her that wouldn't hurt her leg. One website suggested water therapy, and we happen to have a garden tub with whirlpool jets in the master bathroom. The surgeon heartily approved of us allowing her to float around and play with squeaky toys in the tub, about a week after the surgery to make sure the sutures had healed. Wonderful idea! Daisy absolutely loved the whirlpool tub, which she had never been in before. She would come running every time she heard us start the faucet.

Fast forward about, oh, six months. Daisy's knee has healed perfectly and my cousin and her daughter are visiting from Kentucky. She had asked if she could give her two-year-old daughter a bath in the whirlpool tub, which of course we replied, "Absolutely!" Not but maybe ten minutes later, we hear a great commotion coming from the bathroom - my cousin yelling, her daughter crying, lots and lots of splashing - and as I open the bathroom door I see none other than Daisy, the only thing visible beneath tons of Mr. Bubbles are her long brown basset ears, splashing around in the tub. Daisy had somehow quite stealthily made her way into the bathroom, we assume because she heard the faucet going. My cousin said she had no clue where Daisy had 'hid out', or where she had come from, only that she saw a big floppy dog with menace in her eyes spring into the tub, splashing soap into her daughter's eyes and ruining the bathwather with doggy germs and slobber.

Whoops...

Fast forward to October, when my husband and I are on vacation in Texas, my sister is staying in our house, basset-sitting the four-legged fur-babies while we are away. Guess who decides to take a bath in the whirlpool tub? And guess who decided to join her? We got a call from my sister, and the only part I really remember is hearing, "What the heck is wrong with your dog!?" and then something about a "basset belly-flop!".

Double whoops...but what do you do? Put a bright yellow hazard sign on the bathroom door that says, "Caution Bathers: A Basset Hound frequents these waters!"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is so hilarious....Snickers likes to join us in the tub as well, but if you try to get her in there against her own will, you might as well forget it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I took Gwen to the March Of Dimes walk. She was being carried most of the time. One of the times that she was in my arms, a woman came up to us and started petting her. Gwenny was peeing all over me the whole time this lady was petting her. That is where I discovered that she pees when she gets excited! It was funny, because the whole time I thought the woman's daughter was giving me dirty looks but it was because she was witnessing Gwenny pee all over me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts