Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never had a litter this big, 6 females, 3 males, all born healthy and fine

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
pictures of family
Interesting to see the ticking in general, isn't there at birth. They look a good even sized litter and 9 - worth doing eh!! Nice split too (assuming you wanted bitches!!). I remember our Camelot litter of 9, whelped Christmas Eve (5 m 4 f) and having to roll mum to one side and attaching 'half' and then back to add the 'top layer'. Poor mum when they all dove in. We used to call it her Big Mac Attack. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blue color

pups are born black and white-ish, if you back stroke a newborn pup you will see the black hairs in the areas that look white now and will be bleu, if they don't show the black hairs that area will be white. Bleu color really starts showing at 2 weeks. my normal litter size has been 4 to 6 pups, have not seen this big of a litter ever in 20 years and 6 litters

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
pups are born black and white-ish, if you back stroke a newborn pup you will see the black hairs in the areas that look white now and will be bleu, if they don't show the black hairs that area will be white. Bleu color really starts showing at 2 weeks.
Yes, you can see the 'tinges' of blue in the photo of some of those puppies. For sure, those of mine (Bassets) who ended up quite heavily ticked later on, were black and white however. I just wondered whether the B d Gs would be different :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bleu color vs. blue ticking

yes, some "Basset Hounds" are ticked, my favorite color. some have Red ticks.

The BBdG's are a little different, in that the Bleu is more like mixing equal parts of salt and pepper to blend into a blue patch, with black spots and some red trim.

that said, the bottom line is ..... a good hound of any color, is always a good hound. love them all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts