Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just wondered if anyone else's Bassets suffer with being sick in a morning??
When my older Basset Barry was a baby he did it all the time & we took him the vets where they did blood tests & we changed his food etc but it still kept happening.....until I spoke to a neighbour who keeps Akitas and she mentioned with deep chested dogs they need feeding late in the evening (just a bit of something to stay in their tummies overnight!)
We did this with Barry & it has worked after spending a fortune at the vets worried something was wrong with him!
Now my new pup Betty is having the same problem....I have fed her later in the evening just a little snack but this morning she was sick again!?
Sorry to graphic!....but its like bile nothing in it so she is empty!
Just wondering if this is a common Basset trait? As Barry has now started suffering with sore red patches under his arms & after researching i've discovered these 'hotspots' are very common in Bassets so with a little help from the forum on here i've hopefully started to get his armpits better & not sore for the poor thing!

I'm sure Barry & Betty would appreciate any help! x

·
Registered
186 Posts
sounds like morning sickness. maybe they're pregnant. j/k...mid day joke to keep myself sane in the office....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi used to get sick in the morning as well. I started giving him some biscuits before he went to bed so he wouldn't have an empty stomach and that did the trick for him. He eventually outgrew it.
Our GSD, Gunny was the same way and even now at 4 years of age he will occasionally be sick in the morning if he does not eat breakfast soon after getting up.
How many times a day are you feeding your puppy and what time is her last meal of the day? Maybe you could make that meal a little later and give a few biscuits before bed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My vet told me ages ago that it's best to feed dogs their daily allowance, divided up into either two or three meals a day and never all at once, especially if they bolt their food down hurriedly! It gives them something to look forward to several times as well... and after all, we wouldn't like three meals all at the one sitting. We must never walk our dogs for at least an hour after feeding and never feed them for at least an hour (or more) after walking because it could lead to bloat!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies!....at least its reassuring its quite a common thing with the breed.....i'm just asking as when I mentioned this to my vet about the late evening feed seems to work they dismissed it!...(probably because it didnt make them any money!)
I have read alot on the breed & know about bloat etc!....I feed the pup 3times aday with few biscuits before bedtime & my 2 year old twice a day & as he's used to his few biscuits before bedtime from when he was a pup he kinda demands them now before we go bed!
Hopefully by the sounds of i then it's something she might grow out of with age, as my older Basset seems to have really.....but of course still has to have those biscuits!
Thanks folks!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
We must never walk our dogs for at least an hour after feeding and never feed them for at least an hour (or more) after walking because it could lead to bloat!
Results for the large bloat study ever done found no corrolation with exercise, time of exercise in relationship to meals and bloat, This was one of the pieces of advice like rasied food bowls that just was not born out by the facts,

Small size of food particles and age as risk factors for gastric dilatation volvulus in great danes
Gender, neuter status, feeding frequency, food intake time, the interval between feeding and exercise, the duration of exercise, and overall physical activity were not identified as risk factors
Bloat Study at Purdue
Other preventive methods used by owners were not associated with a decrease in bloat. Such measures include restricting water and exercise before and after meals. The study confirmed that bloat risk increased with age, larger breed size, greater chest depth/width ratio and having an immediate relative with a history of bloat
Bloat (GVD) Study
These measures, long been thought to reduce the risk of bloat, were found to have no effect:

Restricting exercise before or after eating
Restricting water intake before and/or after meals
Feeding two or more meals per day
Moistening dry kibble before feeding

Factors That DO Make A Difference

These four (4) factors ARE associated with an increased risk of bloat in large breed dogs

1)Raising the food dish more than doubled the risk for bloat
2)Speed of eating -Dogs rated by their owners as very fast eaters had a 38% increased risk of bloat
3)Age: The study found that risk increased by 20% with each year of age. Owners should be more alert to early signs of bloat as their dogs grow older.
4)Family History: Having a first-degree relative (parent, sibling or offspring) that had bloated increased a dog's risk by 63%.

she mentioned with deep chested dogs they need feeding late in the evening (just a bit of something to stay in their tummies overnight!)
never had this problem with any basset but have had it with two beagles, hardly deep chested dogs. I don't think chest size has any bearing. It is very much an individual dog thing and how their digestive system works. Something as simple as a couple of cookies at bed time was enough to solve the problem need not be a full meal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie did the same thing when we got him as a ten month old, waking up about 5 AM and throwing up yellow bile. Our vet called it "empty tummy syndrome" and told us to save out part of his dinner and feed it to him before bedtime. We give Bogie 1/4 cup of his regular kibble about 9 PM at night and that has solved the problem. We have been doing this for 4 years now.
As for the arm pits they often get yeast growing there causing red patches especially in hot humid weather. We use my husband's foot powder "Tinactin" and that helps prevent it from starting. You can also get Monistat, product used by women for yeast infections, and apply it to the red patches. Our vet told us about this and it really works. If it continues, however, I would have a vet check it as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bloat, Don't be fooled

I have had a 9 week old puppy develop bloat. He most likely woolfed his food with the rest of the litter and was shortly in pain. After a trip to the Vet I worked for(after hours) and a hose down his throat he was just fine but had I gone to bed and not noticed his discomfort he would have been dead the next morning. It is rare for bloat to occur in such a young dog but do not fool yourself into thinking it can't happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts