Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A photographer approached us during a parade 2 weeks ago.
She took bunch of Winston photos and gave us her business card.
Yesterday I got an email from her saying that she would be interested to take more pictures of Winston and submit them as greeting cards!! :shock:

She can give me copies of these photos for free but for an exchange that she can take more of his pictures.

Well. first I am really happy that Winston has made his first debut as a model. :wink: But what she has offered me, is this normal?
Do I have a right of her photos? say if I would like to enter it into a photo contest, can I do this? or does she suppose to offer Winston a labor fee or beef jerky fee? :)

Any advice will be good. Otherwise I don't mind just having Winston's pictures. I'm sure they are great! I just don't want to get rip off too. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had a professional photographer take photos of my horse (unbeknownst to me at the time), which he used commercially, and I was extremely happy to get a set of the photos, which were breathtaking. So I would think that what the photographer has offered you is a fair trade. I don't think it would be outrageous, though, for you to require she ply Winston with treats, ear scritches and belly rubs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been working in the advertising world for almost 30 years with my dogs. A 1/2 day photo shoot ( the photographer has complete access to all shots "purchased") should net you at least $200 with an agent involved (they usually get 50% of the total, an additional $200). If you allow someone to photograph your dog you have no rights to the photos or to any $ procured from any products in which the photos appear. Take care, Belinda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts