Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... Last night my Basset 'Cosmo' got into a half of a McDonalds chocolate shake. At first I didnt think anything of it but then I remembered about chocolate being poisonous to dogs. Well about an hour later I heard him beying(not sure of the spelling) but not
normal Basset bey but more of a I am hurt or hurting sound. Along with this he does not like cats...and I saw a cat on the wall and it seemed to have jumped in my yard, then the beying started.It freaked us out.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,947 Posts
Ok.... Last night my Basset 'Cosmo' got into a half of a McDonalds chocolate shake. At first I didnt think anything of it but then I remembered about chocolate being poisonous to dogs. Mike[/b]
Is there really any chocolate in a Mc D;s shake :blink:

in any case the amount of chocolate is low enough as to not cause any real harm

<a href="http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM" target="_blank">Chocolate
Toxicity In Dogs</a>
"Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Several years ago, one bitch (45lbs) got a one lb bag of Hershey kisses, tore it open and ate all of them !!!!!!!!
Aside from returning the foil wrappers about an hour later, and a contented look--- there were no effects.
Some people and dogs are sensitive to various foods. Some aren't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Several years ago my sister sent us a See's holiday sampler a few days before Christmas. The seasonal UPS driver thought a good place to leave them would be inside the doggie door to the garage. My sister called us to ask if we'd gotten the chocolates. Of course we hadn't received them we said. UPS insisted they were delivered, and See's sent us a complimentary new box. A week or so later while walking in the woods we found the packaging. One my two old boys had snuck that first box out and eaten the lot of them. That's when we found out just how much solid chocolate it really takes to make a dog sick - a whole lot more than in a one or two pound box of assorteds.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top