Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Basset is about 45 lbs. this is often the recommended weight for dogs to eat large breed size kibble. After switching to the large breed size she seems to struggle or does not want to eat however she vacuums down the small breed formula of the same brand. This cause me to worry about bloat. I'd like to hear fellow owners opinions.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Compared to many other breeds, the teeth of the Basset are comparatively small. After coming back to the UK from Canada, we lived for a few years with some people who bred Jackies. When I looked at their teeth (this is a breed who are excellent ratters) I was amazed at how much bigger their teeth were compared to my Bassets.

If she does better when on a smaller sized kibble, then switch to that. You should be feeding two smaller meals a day (breakfast around 7 am and the second before 5 pm). Although we have had 4 cases of GDV, all were in males (whether or not this is significant I don't know!) and all but one, elderly males. The exception was one who at 8, before he'd had his first meal or been let out of his crate, was found surrounded by froth and in a bad way. I rushed him to our vet and he was off the table, minus a ruptured spleen within an hour. He came home that evening and never had another episode but every time I fed him, for some months on, I worried!

You could use a dish specially made to slow down eating.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It may also be a dental issue. Our 7 1/2 year old had to go on low fat which is small kibble and she does fine with that. Prior to that issue we discovered she had a fractured tooth and we had been giving her deer antlers to chew on. No more.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
small breed foods tend to be higher in protein and fat. so more palatable. The speed differential is having to chew vs swallowing whole for avoiding bloat better they chew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts