Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got barney I immediately changed his diet from puppy chow t chicken soup for puppies. I did this a little to quickly which was a stupid decision on my part. I started feeding him chicken and rice and his stool firmed right up. I started adding his food to it and he started getting it again. Is there a possibility that the food could be the problem I know it has several protein sources in it. Has anyone tried pepto bismol? He was at the vets the 10th of september and did not have worms. Should I give him the chicken and rice without the food or mabe try canned pumpkin or can I cut up a real pumpkin and add it to his food?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. What I can say, though, is that when we switched our rottweilers slowly to chicken soup for the dog lover's soul-our male did beautifully on it and the female had constant diarrhea no matter how slowly we tried adding it in :( She ended up back on cheap grocery store food and did great on it too. I know their website says that some dogs just cannot handle the high sources. So good luck to you!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I started feeding him chicken and rice and his stool firmed right up. I started adding his food to it and he started getting it again Is there a possibility that the food could be the problem I know it has several protein sources in it[/url]

certainly it can be the food. Keeping in mind what works for one doeg does not work for all. THe best recommedation when changing food is to by the smallest bag possible to start so if it is not a good match you are not out a lot.

Has anyone tried pepto bismol?
Pepto and other antidiarrhea medication contain Bismuth subsalicylate are safe in limited quanities. Keep in mind salicyacte acts linke asprin an other nsaid un the stomach of dogs which are much more prone to ulcers and other gastric problems from these druck. Pectin is completely safe antidiarrhea medication for dogs

Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol]

Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol®, Kaopectate®)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Last time Annie had a bout of diarrhea that just wouldn't quit I found a product called Pet Pectillin at Petsmart. It has kaolin and pectin in it and it firmed her stool up in just a few hours. I keep a bottle handy now just in case :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I go back to the puppy chow for now or try a food with only one protein source like chicken. I was not sure if even though he saw the vets two weeks ago he could have developed cocidia but then I would think he would have diarrhea even n the chicken and rice.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think when Worm had diarrhea, we just did a bland diet of boiled chicken & rice for all his meals, per his vet. after a couple days, we also added canned pumpkin and also baby food (w/meat & veggies)... did not reintroduce the kibble until the diarrhea was all gone...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After his first meal of chicken and rice it was gone the second I introduced . I waited about 3 days I will try for longer and get a food with just one protein source and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
After his first meal of chicken and rice it was gone the second I introduced
I would look for a food with that as the predominate protein sources. Keep in mind that meat is not the only protein source grains allso supply protein so limited diet have two protein source one meat pased and one plant based just for the recoord.

nut the food intolerance to the chicken soup for the soul could be any of the ingredient allergieries are to proteins food intollerance can occur with any food.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ thanks. Do I feed him the same amount of chicken and rice mixture as I would dog food. I gave him a cup of it for dinner is that a good amount.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Or you could just keep cooking for him, I think he would like it. I know it's allot of work, how about trying a probiotic, that would be good for over all health in the long run. I have used it on my dogs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Yeah, we'd say a cup for dinner is a good amount.

And agree w/Herzo, too, that homecooked food is not a bad idea. We feed a variety of foods.

So for breakfast, it's some kibble & 2 spoons of wet food. For dinner, i'll get chicken & veggies (some combo of carrots, celery, peas, corn) cooked together, & then some rice or kibble. my person cooks once (just boils everything together) & then i have dinner for the next 4-5 days afterwards. so she maybe cooks for me 1-2x/week at most. if she is feeling lazy or is busy, i just get my breakfast combo for dinner.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barney's diarrhea got worse yesterday and there was quite a bit of blood so I took him to the vets first thing this morning. The told me he was underweight because you could see his ribs. I noticed that lately but my husband thought it was because he has big bones and loose skin that his belly was weighing down. He weighs 14 pounds he needs to gain a few pounds. I feel horrible I had no idea I was giving him three cups a day. The put him on flagyl to stop the diarrhea. For food the gave him royal canin gastro for puppies formula wet and dry to help control the intestinal upset and help him gain weight. They sent a fecal off and the results will be in tomorrow the did a rectal exam and there was quite a bit of blood on the vets fingers from it. They did a smear but did not see any coccidia. The did not want to start him on an meds for giardia or any other parasite until the knew for sure because of his diarrhea. He was getting big but not putting on enough weight. So needless to say I feel really bad but Barney seems to be feeling fine he has had two meals and his bell looks full and he has not had any diarrhea. I think I will start cooking some of his meals if that is good for him he loved it when I did. I have never seen a dog so excited to eat before but he was probably so hungry and I did not even know it :(

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
thanks. Do I feed him the same amount of chicken and rice mixture as I would dog food. I gave him a cup of it for dinner is that a good
dog food would have a lot less mpoisture in it so in general you should be a able to feed a bit more of the cooked chicken and rice to matain the same caloric intake.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ I was giving him a bit more but obviously not enough.

·
Registered
972 Posts
awww poor baby! when i first got bowser i had him for a week before i realized he didn't have a big puppy belly, it was worms :( he was able gain some weight after i got that taken care of.
Poor little Barney! I hope it's something curable...and i know the vets give you a perscription for Roal Canin food...and it does have some good properties, but i think you may find that you can get a better brand of food with less filler and bi-products (and wheat and corn glueton) and suppliment with rice for carbs and you will see the same improvement.
Dogs also get a bit of diarrhea when you change their food, but once you get him on something stable then he'll be fine. Probiotics (in the long run this usually works as a good alternative to flagyl, and is in the human vitamin section for cheap) work great to put the good bacterial back into the intestine. Flagyl won't replace the good bacterial. Also haven't heard of it for diarrhea, only gas, but i hope it worked!
He is SUCH a cutie. I hope he heals quickly and is cured!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Flagyl won't replace the good bacterial. Also haven't heard of it for diarrhea, only gas, but i hope it worked!
He is SUCH a cutie. I hope he heals quickly and is cured!
interesting! had only heard of Flagyl (metronidazole) for treating infections as an antibiotic and for other organisms, but not for gas... yeah, it's used in humans, too, for diarrhea, esp in hospital-related infections caused by Clostridium difficile.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It helps reduce inflammation in the bowels I am sure she explained why he was taking it in better terms but I was so worried I know I should bring pad and paper to write stuff down. He has been drinking a ton of water and goes pee like 10 times in 45 minutes. So far he has not pooped I am just waiting to see what the doctors say. He loves the wet food mixed with the dry and is so enthusiastic aout eating it the chicken soup he was so so maybe he knew it was upsetting his stomach. Probiotics should I ask the pharmacist how much to give or is it on the package. Is there any certain brand? He will only be on the royal canin for a short time when the diarrhea is over I will start switching him to a new food. I saw taste of the wild with limited ingredients they had a sweet potato and chicken formula has anyone ever tried that. I was so surprised about the weight he always has a nice round belly. Thanks for the info I wil definitely get the probiotics the side effects of the flagyl are scary he will only be on it for three more days. Funny today I cannot see his ris at all I am thinking the diarrhea would empty out anything he ate hopefully he will not get constipated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just talked to the vet he has giardi so all the animals will need to be treated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up some probiotics and natural balance LID fish and sweet potato. I am also going to use a vet in the area that came highly recommended he practices holistic and regular medicine. I think Barney has been vaccinated so man times for the same vacinne and my vet wants him to be re vaccinated in 3 weeks. With m other dogs I have never vaccinated them yearly or even ever three years for anything but rabies. I think my vet and myself made a poor decision in giving him so man vaccinations yesterday. They just put so much pressure or you to vaccinate for everything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts