Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 3 months old and constantly barking. Were trying to teach him not to bark so much. What age do you think is good to start using a barking collar

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't think any age is a good time to start using a bark collar, especially on a puppy. I'd enroll him ASAP in a puppy class-I recommend it for all puppies. Work with a trainer before you start thinking about things like bark collars. He's only a puppy.

See Barking Solutions

J

·
0 Posts
I know this can be a divisive topic, but I thought I'd throw my views in anyway. Jasmine is also quite a barker. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with dogs barking if they need something, if they're playing or just the occassional reminder that they're around, they are afterall dogs and dogs bark. However she goes mental at the lawn mower, the hoover, the broom, the neighbour's cat, ect. At these times, it's impossible to keep her quiet, and she becomes a nuissance to not only us, but to our neighbours. We went to puppy training, and we tried the different suggestions, but we came to accept that she's just a barker. However, to keep it under control, when she was around 6 months old we invested in a citronella collar. It doesn't hurt her in any way, but does a great job of discouraging her nuissance barking. We only put it on her if we know we are going to be doing a task that will set her off, or if she's gone mad about something else. A couple of sprays from it, and silence reigns again. Plus she has the added bonus of being a mobile air freshener. :wink:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
when she was around 6 months old we invested in a citronella collar. It doesn't hurt her in any way, but does a great job of discouraging her nuissance barking.
Citronella collars by there very nature for the vast majority of dogs are not do not punish the dog. The are not averisve. they do not work like a shock collar in that the the punishment over time extingushes the behavior.

Citronella collars are distractants. THey intrupt the behavior giving the trainer the opurtunity then to train a more appropriate behavior. When used this way they are much more effective long term than shock collars

for a complete run down on how citronella collars work see
Citronella Collars

1 - 4 of 4 Posts