Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new little Dixie is finding herself quite nicely. She's newly adopted and has been a wonderful addition to our household. HOWEVER ...

She barks. Little sweet barks ...bad "there's a stranger at the door!" barks ....cute playful barks ..."Where's my Mommy!?" barks ...and the daily scolding when I get home, for leaving her for 4 hours.

She has also taught Belveder to bark. It's cute to see them talking to each other but his bark is deep and loud. Needless to say, our household is just a ltitle bit different now!

There's a part of me that loves this but is there a way to train them to STOP when I need them to stop? As I said, most of it is happy barking but when someone is at the door, they scare the person to death.

I've never had this issue. There have been others with Belvedere and I managed to get through them with the help of this forum as you guys always give great advice. If any of you have ideas or training tips, please let me know. I just can't bring myself to squirt them in the face with water bottles, etc. as someone recently suggested.

HELP! :D :roll: :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Faye!

We too are adapting to have 2 new pups in the house. Maggie Mae was very quiet as far as barking at the door, etc. Rusty & Stickers love to bark when they hear or see anyone outside. Their breeder said if I want them to stop that behavior to use the phrase "No Bark" while holding their muzzle firmly closed. Do this immediately while barking. It is working. Sticker is SO smart. She is dying to bark but knows she isn't supposed to. She instead does a VERY soft bark almost under her breath. That is fine as long as it doesn't turn into a full bark. Try it and see if this works??? I haven't trained a dog in over 15 years and she trained me instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that tomorrow ...but the thought of trying to catch these two big snouts, one in each hand ...I'll try!

I did try something today. I tried to do what someone on this forum said to do about the "walkies". When Dixie pulled in the beginning, I just stood still until she stopped and then proceeded when she calmed down. So today, when I got home from work and they were losing their minds barking, I stood completely still, thinking they might stop eventually. Well I stood still for more than two minutes and then just started cracking up laughing. Dixie acted like I was crazy and started circling around me, barking even louder! She's a trip. I love her to death but MY GOODNESS she is so loud.

I'll try the No Bark thing. Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good luck with that. LOL George sternly orders every cat, squirrel, bunny and blowing leaf to LEAVE HIS YARD immediately, and he barks like he's a vicious guard dog when someone comes to the door, and I've concluded that the more I order him to stop, the more he barks just to drive me bats. So I gave up. :roll:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good luck Faye! Let us know if it works Copper is a barker also and has just recently decided the best time to bark is in the middle of the night and since he sleeps right beside my bed it would be wonderful to know how to get him to stop.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are working on the barking with Bogie also. Bubba rarely barked, so this is new for us also. We have neighbors with two very small barkers, who hit the door barking. Now when Bogie goes out it's a bark fest if they are out. We are going out telling him "No, bark!". He stops and looks at us until we go inside and then they all start up agian. Also he barks at the funniest things outside, new fallen limb from a tree, a pine cone that wasn't there before, etc. Thankfully he's quiet in the house when someone comes to the door. He sort of woofs under his breath, which is OK. Hopefully we can get the outside barking corrected before we take him camping.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this! We just never had a problem until now. Ms. Dixie IS the guard dog. She definitely let's me know if ANYTHING is amiss.

I think I will work on the greeting barks first. The alarm barks ...that may not be a bad thing completely. But following me around the house when I get home, barking her whole day to me, has to stop. It makes me want to run in the bedroom and shut the door!! :D :D

She is a sweetie, though. We adore her noisy little self.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts