Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's only barely been a week, but Bogie has already seemed to have bonded to me very quickly. This is a very good thing, but it also means that every morning when I go off to class, he starts the barking. I've tried leaving a radio or tv on, giving him a long-lasting treat, and other methods. But as soon as I walk out the door, I hear the barking. I don't mind it so much, but the people who live upstairs from me have been warned many times by the landlord about their dog barking a lot during the day, and they finally got her to stop by crating during the day. I don't know if their dog has actually stopped, or if crating her in a room with the door closed at the back of the house just makes it harder to hear the barking. I really don't want the landlord to have to threaten me about the dog, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to stop it. I've been reading about the shock/citronella/high pitched noise collars, and I'm not really sure how the best way to approach it is. I know his foster family had used a shock collar on him, and they said it worked, but I can't help thinking that it is kind of cruel.

If you have any recommendations on how I could at least lessen his separation anxiety barking, please let me know!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wish I had a tried-and-true solution for you. But we're going through the same "issue" over here right now. We're living in an apartment with Scully for the first time (always lived in a house before), so I'm deathly afraid of being evicted because of her anxious howling when we leave her. We're thinking of trying the citronella collar; I have heard that it's worked for some people.

I hope someone has some suggestions for you!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Stoping the barking won't fix the anxiety, and will probably just lead to an alternative--and possibly even more aggravating--behavior. My boy Lightning didn't bark so much--he just destroyed my entire house. I tried a doggie anti-depressant but didn't see much improvement. Then I tried a second dog, and voila, the anxiety disappeared immediately. Probably not what you wanted to hear...

J

·
0 Posts
Well, I have to say that the ONLY times Molly has barked when we have left her is if we take our Lab with us. When we crate Molly up, our Lab is in the bedroom with her.
Pretty much the same thing others have said....

J

·
0 Posts
I remember seeing that Dog Whisperer guy on Oprah one day maybe a year or two ago... one of her dogs (cocker spaniels?) would bark and bark after she left. Wish I could remember what the solution was! :? Maybe someone else remembers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts