Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to thank everyone who so warmly welcomed Copper and I to the forum in my initial post. I have a new question, my neighbor told me yesterday that Copper is barking "all day" while I'm away at work. I am thinking that this may have been a factor in his previous family's decision to find him a new home. I knew going in that Bassets are very vocal dogs, and for the most part I like and need a dog who lets me know when something is going on outside, but I'm afraid that he will be annoying my neighbors for 8 hours a day and this might cause me problems. Is there anything I can try to reduce the barking while I'm away? Do you think this might be because he is lonley? I love this dog already but I can't afford to move out into the country. I'm worried because I want Copper to be with us forever. He just turned 3 in February, we are his 4th home, and Copper deserves some stabilty... he is a great companion.
Any suggestions?

p.s. the people I privately adopted him from told me that they were moving and could not take him. I asked about any behavioral issues (including excessive barking) and they told me he had none.

p.s.s.
Here are some pics of my boy, better ones soon to come.

Copper pic 1 Copper pic 2 Copper pic 3

·
Registered
316 Posts
You realistically have two immediate choices. Crate him inside during the day or a bark collar.

I'm all for training a dog not to bark, but it takes time, and bassets are very stubborn. Its not like teaching them to sit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you keep him when you're at work??? Maybe a crate would make him feel more secure. I'm curious where the previous owners put him when they left the house?? Maybe a kong filled with some goodie will occupy him while your gone. Also maybe a long walk before you leave will tire him out??? Keep us posted.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally believe in bark collars (only after you've supervised the wearing of them first) as in my experience they work very well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, I just posted a problem with Twinkie barking when we let her out before bed in the late evening on a different group. She sometimes gets on a scent in the backyard and just doesn't want to shut up. Worried about her disturbing our elderly neighbors. Lynne, can you expand on your experience with a bark collar? I've been really hesitant about using one, for all different reasons, ethical and otherwise. Twinkie will quiet down eventually, if I keep telling her "Quiet" or "Twinkie, No!" Twinkie's a really gentle dog. I just don't want to do anything to hurt her.

Copper Top's Mom ... what a handsome boy he is! Thanks for sharing his pics. The second picture would be great on the basset butts calendar that someone somehwere was doing to raise money for rescue. I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Janet 'n Twinkie

[ March 29, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Twinkie's Mum ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got a bark collar for my first basset, Rosebud. There was no amount of correcting her to curb her incessant barking. I was very hesitant at first also but eventually out of total frustration decided to try it. After reading all the material (and keeping my fingers crossed), we put it on her and turned it on to a low setting. She barked and nothing....we turned it up to about the middle setting and when she barked (it needs two or three consecutive barks before it works) it must have worked as she gave a small yelp and then gave us a look of "What the heck was that?!" This happened once or twice more and then she just quit! It was amazing. We left it on for several hours and then took it off. We repeated the next day, this time no excessive barking. After about a week, she just didn't continually bark anymore. Every once in awhile she'd revert back to her old ways and we'd renew her acquaintance with the collar. It would take only once to refresh her memory. It eventually got to the point to where if she started up again we'd put the collar on and not even turn it on.

We didn't discourage her from barking if someone was at the door or when she was playing. For us that was okay. What wasn't okay was barking at people walking by, leaves falling from the trees, butterflies, imaginary friends and foes or boredom barking. Like I said, I found it effective without being inhumane and would definitely use it again if the need arose.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
(VENTING HERE ABOUT MY OLD NEIGHBORS) Having lived next door for six years to people who left their dog outside all day, to bark, I have to say I can empathize with your neighbors.

I understand your frustration, but it's not fair to your neighbors. Sounds like she was being fair, in coming over and talking to you. I did the same thing, and all I got was "we just don't know what else to do".

I tolerated it, put up with it, and got sick of it. I begged her repeatedly to find a way to stop him barking ALL DAY. I never wanted to cause problems, but I finally called the police and had her charged. She didn't seem to care about being a good neighbor, so neither did I! She didn't learn the first time, he was out barking a week later. The judge really threw the book at her the second time. (Then her 14 yr old son, beat my 12 yr old son up. The next weekend my van was vanadlised, with a note under the wiper that said PAYBACK! kinda shows the mentality of the family :)

Sandy

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Do you live in an apartment or house? I penned off our kitchen- it's plenty big with all the luxuries of life... and leave the tv on (Animal Planet of course ;) ) and my dogs have definetly settled down. They do have company (each other) and on long days I have a dog sitter go by to let them out for a romp and potty time.

I also wanted to say I've heard lots of positive things to say about the bark collar- it might be a good option to save your houndie-

·
Registered
246 Posts
My friend had the same problem. He went to the pound and got another one. Problem solved. Turns out the dog was just lonely all day. Maybe not be a viable solution for you, but it worked. :cool: Speeder

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I couldn't handle the shock collar. Poor Byon looked paniced and confused. The shocking just caused him to bark more; it was a vicious cycle. I liked the spray collar. Good luck! A barking dog can be very stressful.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
need answers to the following question to offer a viable solution,

1. when barking is dog outside or inside?

a. If inside does he have access to outside.

b. outside does he have access to inside if not
how is the dog contained,what shelter is provided

2. How soon after you leave does the dog start barking

3. what is the dog doing when barking. ie. barking at people passing by, barking at squirels, barking at nothing.

3. What is the activity level of the dog ?

4. any other behavior problem beside barking while you are gone, i.e. Destructive chewing, inapporpriate eliminations etc. ?

5. What is your routine before leaving?

6. what is the dogs energery level before you leave

7. what outlets for mental and physical stimulation does the dog have while you are away.

Ecessive barking can have many causes with out addresing the cause sucess is less likely. Even if surpressed by punishment a more destructive or anoying behavior is likely to replace it.

Some common causes of excessive parking.

1. Attention seeking

2. as an adjunct to 1. a behavior condition know as seperation Anxiety

3. Alert Barking (part prey drive) barking at people or animals especial if they are moving,

4. Bordom

5. It's fun.

Get the help of you neighbors to answer the question you can't. They are more likely to cut you and the dog some slack if they realize you are seriously trying to cooperate.

Seperation Anxiety is a serious behavioral problem that can be help by behavior modification. Which general includes keep leaving and returning low key, practice many times a day leaving the dog and in more severe cases medication is also often used. An additional companion Animal for one that suffers seperation anxiety has helped many but cwertainly not all that suffer the condition

Alert barking can be diminished by 1. keep the dog indoors, Fencing that can not be seen through. Behavior modification see Retraining Manic Alert Barking

4. bordom ... Dogs with high energy levels need those level brought down before you leave. I tired dog is a well behaved dog. You may need to readjust your schedule to include time in the morning to exercise the dog. Long brisk walk, fetch, tug of war are just some of the options. Provide mental stimulation for the dog a buster cube, frozen stuffed kong, bury hide treat for the dog to find. Again one no addditional work for the human solution often suggest for bordom barking is get another dog to keep him company and play. Again success of this appoach is far from guaranteed. Many dogs can not play without barking so the addition of a second dog may just substitute one form of barking for another. Often the cause of eccessive barking is multifaceted, more than one cause. If for example besides being bored the dog Is also an alet barking. With alert barking the addition of another dog makes thing worse. Know the dog has more reason to alert, someone to tell and the second dog often accompanies the first, so instead of one dog barking you now have two.

5. Barking is fun. Make something else more fun or barking less fun. This type of barking usual is the best to respond to Shock collars.

Not all Anti-bark collars are the same. Some relay on voice activation, only problem is it does not necessarily have to be the barking dogs voice. It is not unprecidented for this type of collar to shock a dog when another dog barks. Some are sensitive to movement of the throat which on rare ocassion can be set off on other non-barking related movements like swallowing or eating, Some require both which makes them less prone to correcting the dog inappropriately.

Not all bark collars use electric shock. There are many that use citronella spray. It must be noted for most dogs citronella collars work very differently than shock collars for detail on the pyschology of Citronella Collars click Citronella Collars

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! awsome response thanks... here is a little more info.
I live in a duplex apartment with a pretty big fenced in yard. He stays inside during the day, with access to the main living areas bath and bedrooms doors closed. He has a toy basket full of toys, and each day at least one is pulled out. His activity level is about average, he is pretty laid back unless you get him going. I try to play with him every evening and manage a walk a couple times through the week, once I am home he has access to inside and out at his descretion and usually chooses to stay in with us. I also bring him to visit another neighbors dog after work so he can play and "run it off" I leave the tv on for him while I'm away, and on the weekends he goes just about everywhere with me and my 2 year old little girl. I would love to walk him early in the AM before work for him and myself but its too early for my daughter to go and I am single parent. Would aslo love to have another but that is not an option until we have a bigger house. Copper's all the Basset we can contain at the moment. He does alert bark alot when we are home but even when he is inside he barks at anything he hears. If I had to guess, It is either this (alert barking) or because he is bored/lonely (which just breaks my heart) although other than working my life is spent mostly at home.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah... and other than the barking, he is a perfect little angel inside while I'm gone.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a tought one. Sounds like you're doing everything you can to make him comfortable when you are gone. You definitely have a full plate with your daughter and him. It seems like you do devote alot of your time to him. Hopefully someone will come up with a great suggestion. Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
you may want to consider setting up a hidden camera in the the area he is confined to be able to review his behavior while you are gone.

investigate freezing and stuffing kong toys and buster cube or similar device. These would substitute as part of his meals but they should

1. provide more mental stimulation and work.

2. it is difficult to bark and eat at the same time

·
Registered
773 Posts
Also, just curious -- how many hours a day is he alone? Could you have someone come in to walk him?

A friend of mine used a citronella collar on her barking basset. All it took was a single squirt, and the barking ended. Drastic times call for drastic measures!

[ March 30, 2006, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Aruuuu ]

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would take him for more walks, barking problems or not. Put your little girl in a wagon or stroller. Like the old saying a tired dog is a good dog. I understand the pain of early mornings, I start work at 6. Good Luck to you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... I threw my daughter in her stroller this am about 30 minutes before I had to leave and ran copper all the way up the street and back (idealy it should be longer). I think tomarrow I will wake up early and take him before I get ready for work, luckily I work in an Auto Repair shop where most everybody will still smell more than me today =)and I think I will leave my internet connection on at home and watch him on my web cam. DUH! i cant believe i hadnt thought of that sooner.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I bet you'll be able to solve this- remember, you are smarter than he is! The frozen stuffed Kong that Mike suggested should keep him occupied for hours and will really help if boredom is a factor-(I'd get the big black one for 'heavy chewers') good luck and hang in there!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts