Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's with great sadness that I have to report that our Frankie went off his back legs just over a week ago, and although we'd hoped to be able to give him time as we did with one of ours years ago, Frankie started repeated vomiting a few days later and had clearly reached the end. He was 'only' 10.5 and although he was becoming increasingly weak behind, I'd so hoped to have a few more years with him but it wasn't to be. Having to make this decision during lock-down when our vet is only doing emergencies, added to this terrible decision. It wasn't really much comfort when our vet later called to say we'd made the right decision at the right time. Clearly he had nothing more to offer to keep him going.

We still have our Whippet, a year almost to the day older, but she now keeps checking his crate when she gets up which has me weeping again. I don't know what to do now as we are up there in age and I'm not sure taking on another dog, let alone a Basset would be fair on any incoming dog. Knowing that, being sensible, he was probably my last Basset doesn't help my heart to heal - it's broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two. Of course when you keep numbers such losses are inevitable, and always there's hurt, some of the more special ones, more than others. But over the years, it's always been life's rich pattern, comings and goings. However, just as was the case when we lost the last of our bloodline, not having a Basset wasn't something I felt I could live with - Whippets are not Bassets! But this time, 10+ years on from Frankie's arrival, the situation is profoundly different - we are both that much older so it's whether we should have another Basset (certainly caring for one of 35 kg was doing my back in, let alone his) and would a breeder/rescue LET us have another Basset, even if it would have to be an oldie.

In a way it's perhaps a good thing we have a lockdown going on so I can't do anything in haste. I have to listen to myself when I say to others, time heals. I just wish I'd heal faster.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit - (don't know how to)....Frankie's dod is wrong ..... he died last Thursday, 23 April, 2020!! Not 23.4.80!!!
Admin - can you alter this please.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's with great sadness that I have to report that our Frankie went off his back legs just over a week ago, and although we'd hoped to be able to give him time as we did with one of ours years ago, Frankie started repeated vomiting a few days later and had clearly reached the end. He was 'only' 10.5 and although he was becoming increasingly weak behind, I'd so hoped to have a few more years with him but it wasn't to be. Having to make this decision during lock-down when our vet is only doing emergencies, added to this terrible decision. It wasn't really much comfort when our vet later called to say we'd made the right decision at the right time. Clearly he had nothing more to offer to keep him going.

We still have our Whippet, a year almost to the day older, but she now keeps checking his crate when she gets up which has me weeping again. I don't know what to do now as we are up there in age and I'm not sure taking on another dog, let alone a Basset would be fair on any incoming dog. Knowing that, being sensible, he was probably my last Basset doesn't help my heart to heal - it's broken.
So sorry for your loss. It is never easy no matter how they go. Just know that he is in doggie heaven and is perfect with no pain.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Edit - (don't know how to)....Frankie's dod is wrong ..... he died last Thursday, 23 April, 2020!! Not 23.4.80!!!
Admin - can you alter this please.
Jan Have just seen this on another site & have come here for the first time in .............(s), think I've managed to change the date for you. Don't know what to say, words are hard to find at such times & can only imagine how you're feeling. I'm so so sorry. Stay strong & remember all the wonderful times you've had. I'd love another Basset but having taken on Oscar, I'm not sure with our circumstances that I can manage two, but you never know. Will be in contact with you soon. Thinking of you, from your palls down south.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - Lacy. Did you know that Pat Tryhorn (Moragden) recently died?

Re Frankie and getting another Basset ..... given he was a big boy and neither of us is any younger, I don't think either of us could or should take on another and THAT's a killer re moving forward. I was able, when we lost Mannie, to acknowledge that Teazel wasn't/isn't a Basset, and look for another. Unlikely this time. In fact even if it's not that long since we said goodbye (seems like ages) I'm realising that my head should rule my heart and perhaps let Teazel live out her days and then see where we are. We are taking her out with us (today, shopping - Rob sat with her in the car outside) as I can't leave her to howl here on her own. But the house is sooooo quiet now. Frankie was such a presence and I spent so much time looking after his numerous problems, especially in his final days. I'm not as bad as I was last week, but come the times when I was doing things (feeding!) it all comes flooding in again. I so hoped to have more years yet with him, but it wasn't to be.

I picked up your comment over on the other website Again, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Thanks - Lacy. Did you know that Pat Tryhorn (Moragden) recently died?

Jan. No, did see a while ago that Terry had been taken ill, but that must years back. Never got to meet them, though did speak to Pat a couple of times as Lucas's mum was one of their's, 'Moragden Misty Mina' & although reticent did make some unrepeatable remarks regarding Otto's parentage! How I miss them both. Thinking of you all.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Terry (Tryhorn) apparently had a heart attack while judging some years ago. He survived Pat but last I heard, wasn't doing very well, understandably. When I think of how many breeder/exhibitors or just owners in the breed who are now no longer with us (or have gone out of the breed!) ...... When I heard about Pat, I thought of you with your Moragden boy.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just saw your post about losing Frankie. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Your comment about Frankie being your last basset hits close to home- we had our 18 year old dachshund Minna put to sleep in January. Paul and I are up there in age now, and we've decided not to take on anymore dogs ...Otto will be our last basset too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts