Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a bad week for the dogs. Copper had a bite to his eyelid that got infected (maybe from a mole or maybe from Tally - they play rough:rolleyes:) and his eye was all iritated and oozing goo. We ended up at the vet on Monday nite. Tuesday Tally ate a combo of hamburger grease, leaves, and dirt (hubby dumped the grease in the woods and she found it) and ended up with a bad case of diarhea. Accidents all over beds, rugs, floors, and even on Copper:eek: for two days before we were able to get meds for her. Two nights of 2AM clean-up, bed-changing, and laundry washing. Once the meds kicked in everyone got a better night's sleep. Then Friday morning Moe couldn't walk on his deformed front leg. I lay on his dog-bed with him and cried, thinking that this might be the end for him (he's almost twelve and aging very fast). Last night he was no better, barely able to walk. Today we took him in to the vet. Nothing is broken, but his joints, especially his crooked leg, are very painful (no swelling though). He was given a script for Rimadyl and the vet said that he should be improved by tonite. We have to give it to him for three days and then stop to see if things are better. He was confident that they would be, but if not, he needs to be anesthetised to do an x-ray. If that happens they'd also remove his problem cyst - why waste perfectly good anesthesia on a mere x-ray? We are hoping it doesn't come to that. He also gave us something to put on the cyst that will prevent licking, and it works great so far. Given his health issues, the vet thinks he'll have another year at least, but probably not much more than that.:( The chart says he's like a person 77 years old. I just hope when the time comes that he will go peacefully in his sleep and I won't be forced to make the decision to euthanise him. I will do it if I have to, but I hope I won't have to.:(

·
Registered
878 Posts
Aww what an upsetting few days you have had and I'm so glad you had the patience to clear up after your pooch who found the grease... as it wasn't his fault and as it probably smelt nice to him, he did what dogs often do... eat it!

Let's hope Moe will improve. Not sure if Devil's Claw could help him, but a friend's old Labrador was a bit stiff with arthritis and she tried him on Devil's Claw and he now walks around like a much younger dog, but of course it may not help every dog!!

http://www.dogclub.co.uk/advice/lifeyet.php

As the dog grows older the physical changes become obvious. He will begin to look a bit grey around the muzzle. The eyes take on a cloudy look and his near vision may become impaired and hazy. His movements become slower, and some dogs may have stiff joints and develop arthritis, or rheumatism. Your dog may be less inclined to play or exercise. Given the opportunity, dogs will naturally seek out wild herbs and plants to heal themselves. The use of important herbal remedies can produce real benefits in the health and well being of your pet.

* Greenleaf, or Mixed Vegetable tablets can be used to reduce toxins and relieve pain. Green Lipped Mussel with Glucosamine is a wonderful recent addition to the remedies used for arthritis. Many owners are now using this regularly because of the dramatic effects it has had on their dogs. The Green Lipped Mussel helps to build cartilage, and the Glucosamine helps to maintain mobile and pain free joints.
* Another important herbal remedy used to reduce inflammation, and maintain healthy joints, is Devil's Claw. It is wonderful for older dogs, and can give them a new lease of life. This is a valuable remedy for treating rheumatism, having a revitalising effect on the muscles.
* Dairy products, and red meat should be omitted from the diet of dogs with arthritis, as these can tend to aggravate the condition. Make sure your dog is not overweight as this puts extra stress on the joints.

Why do people use devil's claw?

Devil's claw has been used for thousands of years in Africa for fever, rheumatoid arthritis, skin conditions, and conditions involving the gallbladder, pancreas, stomach and kidneys.

In the early 1900's, devil's claw was brought to Europe. It is used to improve digestion, as the bitter taste of devil's claw tea is thought to stimulate digestive juices. However, the primary use of devil's claw today is for conditions that cause inflammation and pain.

Devil's claw is a plant native to southern Africa. Its name comes from the small hooks on the plant's fruit. The active ingredients in devil's claw are believed to be iridoid glycosides called harpagosides, which are found in the secondary root.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moe is feeling better now. He's still limping but he's putting weight on his leg now. He's acting normal, too - whining for cookies, barking for dinner, whining for cookies, barking at neighbors, whining for cookies, barking for attention, and whining for cookies. :rolleyes: Gotta go... he's whining for cookies. ;)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Glad to hear that Moe is feeling better. Moe's routine sounds just like my girl Lily's routine. Ugh! That's a drawback to summer's off...more Lily whining at me. Gotta love those sweet faces though. =)

~Heather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts