Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well normally Saturday mornings are fun filled mornings of training. Rosie at 10am and Lily at 11:30.
But Rosie hasn't been feeling well this week. Eating one day and not the next, not wanting to go for a walk one day but then does the next, but last night she was coughing and snorting all night. She makes a lot of noise just breathing (Rosie bulldog) but this was out of the ordinary. We spent 2 1/2 hours at the vet, still not sure what the problem is exactly but there is definate fluid in the lungs, there is something else in the chest but can't be sure yet what it is. She is home on diaretics to try and get rid of the fluid and hopefully on Tuesday when we go back we will be able to see more.
I came home and started researching, sadly to me this sounds like heart failure, since heart failure is not breed specific I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. Is is treatable at all? What should I expect/brace for? She was just at the vet about three weeks ago and everything was fine and got updated on her vaccines.
Anyway, we were there so long Lily missed class, but she is worried about her sister too. right now everyone is asleep. My husband is a basket case. I don't know what I'll do with him if anything happens to Rosie, he just got so he could talk about Shelby a little bit and we lost her about 3 years ago.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh- I'm so sorry to hear this- I can only imagine what you're going through right now. Hansel(doxie) died of congestive heart failure, but he was 16 years old. I would really watch her to make sure her breathing doesn't become more distressed over the weekend- if it does I would consider it an emergency and call the vet right away, although I'm sure you're thinking along those lines already. You will be in my thoughts this weekend-

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I did want to say- I have many friends that have dealt with heart disease in dogs- and with medication they've lived a good many more years- Sending you guys drool and prayers-

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is a FLU canines are picking up what the signs are I'm not entirely sure but it hopefully could be another avenue to look at. Did your Vet do x-rays to see the lungs? I hope you all are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bubbad, I thought of canine flu too, right now we are not ruling anything out. We took x-rays of the lungs and can see something in the bottom of one, might be fluid don't know yet, but in the x-rays the problem is we can't see the heart there is somthing block the view of it and something pressing on her trachea causing it to bow upward so all kinds of things are going through my head.
She is more active today, eating, even went out and she attempted to play with her basketball but got tired very quickly and stopped.
I'm holding me breath until tuesday and hoping for the best,
thanks for all your prayers.

C

·
0 Posts
I don't know about dogs, but I would imagine it to be the same as it is in humans...with CHF, you have to watch salt in diet and keep the diuretics going...excersize is good too.

Prayers on their way for you...keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Caughing could be a symptom of heart disease,
I hope the vets can find out what's wrong with Rosie,
and it's easy cured.

We'll sling drool and pray for her.

A

·
0 Posts
Gosh, we are keeping all paws crossed. Hope everything is OK. Extra hugs for Rosie! yvonne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts