Basset Hounds Forum banner

Backward sneezing?

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Milly and Lily 
#1 ·
How many of you have hounds that do this? Does anyone know what causes it? I heard that if you cover the dog's nose when they're doing it that it stops it, and I have found that to be true with Cody. It scares me when he does it, but I have heard that it's pretty common.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Joni, my westie does this on a regular basis. I thought it had something to do with her allergies, but the vet said no, it is just that their noses are so sensitive and pick up on all household smells,furniture polish,carpet freshner etc, and it's nothing to worry about.

#9 ·
Oh wow, Joan!!! LMAO!!! That took a lot of guts! Try just covering Happy's nose with your hand. It really does stop the "sneezing". You'll have a wet hand, but it will help!

#10 ·
More common in beagle than bassets both of the beagles do this frequently toughy rarely and the females never.

Reverse Sneezing
"Important Points in Treatment

Treatment is not necessary when the episodes occur infrequently on a random basis.

Home treatments that have been reported to be successful include massaging the throat, blowing in the nose, and rapidly and lightly compressing the chest. "

Reverse Sneeze Syndrome
"Treatment is not necessary when episodes occur infrequently or on a random basis. To help your dog you may wish to try any of the following ideas: holding off both nostrils so the dog takes a breath through the mouth, blowing in the nose, or massaging the throat. All of these techniques are designed to stimulate a swallow reflex, which will help to stop the episode. "

#12 ·
both Rosie and Lily do this. Rosie has always done it and I thought it was perhaps because of her short sinus passage, but now Lily does it too. It is pretty scary but rubbing them and calming them seems to help.
Thanks Toughynutter for the info, that really helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.