Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my basset is 4years old,without any warning he couldnt support his weight on his rear legs,took him to vet and he had a vertabre pushing on his spinal cord and required immediate surgery.has anyone else had this problem and if so did you have any early warning signs?the vet said it would be a 10% chance of recurrence,i also have a dacshund who had the exact same problem at 4years old,both my basset and dacshund were purchased from shake-a-paw pet stores.has any-one else heard of people getting dogs from this store and having back problems,,please reply. :mad:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sorry :(
I just hope it all goes well in the end. It is strange that both your dogs got this. Is there anything you can do to prevent it from happening again, like limit jumping?
Joan

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fumble, my Sadie was diagnosed with the same problem as your dog, only hers was not as severe. She was still walking, just very wobbly & her back end would sometimes go down. The surgeon said she was in the "gray area" as far as surgery goes & she wanted to give her time to heal on her own. That was in December. Now, 3 months & 2 rounds of steroids later, she is (knock on wood) doing OK. Her back end is still somewhat wobbly & she sometimes falls, but appears in no pain & otherwise acts normally. The vet said she would always be at risk for this to become serious, like what you describe with your dog. I am having a hard time going the surgery route now though, since she is able to get around & acts normally. How did yours do with the surgery? How much bed rest did he need? Did the surgery cause a lot of pain? I am also hesitant because Sadie is 9 yrs. old & suffers from advanced spinal arthritis. She currently takes Rimadyl & I have restricted her running & jumping, in hopes to avoid surgery.

E

·
0 Posts
Had a 5 year old male that had a ruptured disc and surgery.He lived to be 14 with only occassional slight flare-ups.
Sadly,bassets have "poorly designed" backs and are prone to disc problems.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sadly, purchasing any puppy from a pet shop is asking for it. No responsible breeder ever releases their pups to pet shops. Most likely your two babies came from puppy mills, which have no interest in breeding healthy dogs. They are in it for the money and numbers, not good breeding, are what they are all about. So sorry about your troubles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts