Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got baby Jeffrey on Thursday, and he's the most adorable thing I've seen in my entire life. My husband and I just fell absolutely in love with him.

On the first day, he didn't really eat anything, but we weren't too concerned because he was adjusting to his new environment. His first stool was a little runny, but again, that didn't concern us too much. Friday his diarrhea got worse, and he ate a tiny bit at lunch, but not enough to sustain a growing puppy. So that's when we started to worry. Then yesterday, he wouldn't eat a thing, slept all of the time, and was really runny. He was also visibly skinnier. We tried to force feed him some yogurt and milk replacement, in case he just wasn't weaned properly, but he threw it up a little later. That's when we decided to take him to the emergency vet clininc in the middle of the night.

They're keeping him there for today. He's got an IV, and they're giving him antibiotics for parasites and infection. He's a very sick puppy. He's also anemic, so they're trying to figure out the cause for that too.

It's all been very hard on my husband and I. After getting such a wonderful family memeber and companion, seeing him go through this is awful. Jeffrey has kept a very good attitude about it all. He's so sweet when he looks up at us and cuddles. And he was so good when he was getting examined at the vet.

We're hoping that Jeffrey will have his antibiotics and get totally better soon. I'll keep you updated. We just keep praying for our little guy.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
How old is Jeffrey? Have you let the folks you got him from know about his problems? I'm also wondereing if your vet has diagnosed the cause of his infection. What kind of parasites were found?

One thing I've learned over the years, especially with very young pups, is that they can go down very fast. I think a call to your vet at the first sign of anything questionable is always a good idea: usually they can tell from a description of what is going on whether a pup should be seen.

It sounds like Jeffrey is where he needs to be right now. Please keep us posted-

·
Registered
86 Posts
Keeping Jeffrey in our prayers and you in our thoughts. I know what this is like cuz we had a puppy before Annie who had the same symptoms and a few days later after staying at the vets was as good as new.

Be sure and let your breeder know what has happened if that is where he came from!

Take care and please keep us all posted...we will be thinking of all of you!

Kathy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh, poor baby. I hope he comes through and gets back to puppy antics real soon. Prayers from us to you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How old was Jeffrey when you got him? Who was his breeder? And, most importantly, how is he doing now?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:( Oh, my! Poor little guy. Hopefully he will get well quickly. Sending lots of healing drool. Do keep us posted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, dear. What sort of infection are they treating Jeffrey for? Have you contacted the breeder?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeffrey will be 8 weeks old on Wednesday. His breeder was extremely concerned about his sickness, especially the anemia. She insisted on paying our vet bill for us. He's still not better at all, so we took him back to her, and now he's at her vet. We're not sure what he has still, and he still won't eat. He's getting more listless as time progresses.

This whole thing is heart breaking for my husband and I. We get our very first puppy, and he's sick in a few days. The breeder says that if he doesn't get better or has any kind of genetic disease or something, that we can get a different puppy or a refund. We would love our boy back, but at the same time, we want a healthy dog that will live with us for as long as we can have him.

There are some tough decisions to be made in the days ahead. Thanks for all of the drool.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jeffrey will be 8 weeks old on Wednesday. His breeder was extremely concerned about his sickness, especially the anemia. She insisted on paying our vet bill for us. He's still not better at all, so we took him back to her, and now he's at her vet. We're not sure what he has still, and he still won't eat. He's getting more listless as time progresses.

This whole thing is heart breaking for my husband and I. We get our very first puppy, and he's sick in a few days. The breeder says that if he doesn't get better or has any kind of genetic disease or something, that we can get a different puppy or a refund. We would love our boy back, but at the same time, we want a healthy dog that will live with us for as long as we can have him.

There are some tough decisions to be made in the days ahead. Thanks for all of the drool.[/b]
So sorry to hear of your troubles. We are currently working through a new puppy illness. I understand the heartache, frustration and questions you might be having. Take it one day at a time. 'Hope all is better soon. 'Will keep you guys in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. You have been in my thoughts; I can only imagine how heartbreaking this is. Please let us know how Jeffrey is doing in the days ahead,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm so sorry for what you are going through, and what a tough decision!! I'm sure you are already in love with Jeffrey and don't really want another pup...our drool and thoughts are with you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just got some better news about Jeffrey! Our breeder has him at her vet, and they think he just has a bad case of hook worms, along with the rest of the litter (they're all anemic). They're giving him antibiotics and vitamin B12, and he's starting to eat yogurt and milk. They said that if he keeps progressing, he should get better in about two weeks.

My husband and I are really excited about this, but we're trying not to get our hopes up too high. Just a question to throw out there: Does anyone think that this sickness would do anything to harm the development of a puppy? One of the vets said that not eating for 12 hours could be very detrimental to a puppy's health. We love Jeffrey and are hoping and praying for a fast recovery so that he can come home to be with us again. No one can love him as much as we do!

Thanks, everyone, for your support.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts