Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi his name is actualy Herphaeastus but generaly he gets to be called baby bear lol:) coz we love him sooo much ..anyhoo trouble getting to a vet with lockdown etc as in the uk..he has a lot of spots mainly apear on his back and dissipate toward the tummy area..it's not ringworm and it's not mange prettry sure o fthis as he does not mix with other dogs and it doesn't have typical hallmarks of iether of those things..i have been around and had dogs for longer than i care to remmeber but this i never seen and it's not fleas iether ..they start of as red small bumps and then after many days and week of using special shampoo to treat spotty dogs they turn into flaky scales which come of and crusty spots but still do not go away..i have some success with slathering on sudocrem as am thinking maybe this is suffocating it if it is a mite? any help appreciated..as had heard of coconut and apple cider vinegar but is that just a load of rubbish?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
mostly rubbish sounds like demodectic mange if a puppy. They acquire the mite from the mother all dogs have the mite but usually the immune system can control them We had a litter of puppies get a staph infection of the skin with Similar symptoms

"Demodectic mange is caused by Demodex canis, a parasitic mite that lives in the hair follicles of dogs. Under the microscope, this mite is shaped like a cigar with eight legs. Demodectic mange, sometimes just called ‘demodex’ or ‘red mange’, is the most common form of mange in dogs.

All normal dogs (and many humans) have a few of these mites on their skin. As long as the body's immune system is functioning properly, these mites cause no harm.

Demodectic mange most often occurs when a dog has an immature immune system, allowing the number of skin mites to increase rapidly. As a result, this disease occurs primarily in dogs less than 12 to 18 months of age. As the dog matures, its immune system also matures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mostly rubbish sounds like demodectic mange if a puppy. They acquire the mite from the mother all dogs have the mite but usually the immune system can control them We had a litter of puppies get a staph infection of the skin with Similar symptoms

"Demodectic mange is caused by Demodex canis, a parasitic mite that lives in the hair follicles of dogs. Under the microscope, this mite is shaped like a cigar with eight legs. Demodectic mange, sometimes just called ‘demodex’ or ‘red mange’, is the most common form of mange in dogs.

All normal dogs (and many humans) have a few of these mites on their skin. As long as the body's immune system is functioning properly, these mites cause no harm.

Demodectic mange most often occurs when a dog has an immature immune system, allowing the number of skin mites to increase rapidly. As a result, this disease occurs primarily in dogs less than 12 to 18 months of age. As the dog matures, its immune system also matures.

Don't think it the staph thing as thank goodness he is as greedy as they get and certainly has no loss of appetite lol

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
more likely staph, if demodic more likely an immune system issue as well. going to need a skin scraping of definiative answer can MERSA is just on of many antibiotic strains, which may be why you can not clear it up.

[/quote]There are two typical staphylococcal lesions. One type begins as a red area on the skin with a pimple-like pustule in the center. The other type is a circular, reddish area with a crusty edge and hair loss in the center. The latter can easily be confused with ringworm or yeast skin infection. Finding either of these skin patterns in a dog that is scratching is highly suggestive of staphylococcal dermatitis.[/quote]
our puppies had the second type and also of note

My dog finished treatment for staphylococcal dermatitis two weeks ago, and now the infection is back. Why is that?
This situation may be caused by an allergy to the staphylococcal bacteria. This is called Staphylococcus hypersensitivity or Staphylococcus allergy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think it the red mange..but what to do can't get to a vet at moment even if i wanted to as UK on sever lockdown even the PDSA which is free vetinary treatment if you don't recieve enough money to pay a vet even they are not giving treatment and are shut down..is reason i am grasping at straws as to what to do as a remedy of the shelf..I have tried a few different shampoos but to no avail..am thinking more and more it is the red mane as something that does apear to work is absoloutly covering him slapping it on thick the sudocream after having shaved him bald poor thing.. i think it work as it suffocate the mite and it can not live in the hair shaft. He does not seem to bothered by it he is absoloutly A 1 health my son brush his teeth every night I do his ears etc ect

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more likely staph, if demodic more likely an immune system issue as well. going to need a skin scraping of definiative answer can MERSA is just on of many antibiotic strains, which may be why you can not clear it up.

steroids he had once from vet and that cleared it up tho that was when i could get to a vet btw thanks for taking the time here :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AM gonna try the chlorhexidine shampoo and spray which i manage to get online here in UK and IF it works I shall be back on here to tell the tale as am sure a lot of dog owners struggle with this and what a nightmare it is having to wade through a million different shampoos out on the market MOST of which DO NOT WORK.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Even during the full UK lockdown, our vet would see our pets. What we did was phone for an appointment, go there but wait in the car for the vet to come out and take the dog in. Very sadly this is also what happened with Frankie when he had to be pts. The sad part was we couldn't be with him. They did have a system where they could hook up the dog and using a long line, go outside the room to administere the final drug with the owners there - but knowing how unlikely it was for Frankie to keep the line in (from a previous time when he had to be on a drip which kept coming out), I knew this system wasn't going to work, for him.

You do need to have your dog given a skin scrape to I/D what's going on so the correct treatment can be given. It's unlikely to just be a shampoo I'd think. And there's no way I'd use anything unless diagnosed and treated by a vet. Get your vet involved - however it takes!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Get your vet involved - however it takes!
Yep. !

Standard go to for dogs with active skin infections in grooming shop is Davis KetoHexidine Shampoo

one of the few medicate shampoo that actual cleans. However, general procedure is to wash dog normally to clean hair and skin then medicated shampoo - Minimium contact time is 10 minutes 15 is better. Must be thoroghly rinses and if dog is itch or highly inflamed than a hypoallergenic conditioner to follow. such as Zymox leave in Conditioner[/quote]

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
if Steriod helpd other than relieve itch/irritation it indicates an inmune system problem contributing ie allergies. You will always be fighting an uphill battle for control unless and until the underlying immune system issues are mi tigate, Most common would be allergies .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mmm thankyou for all your input...unfortunatley here in certain parts of UK very strict lockdown due to new mutant strain of virus we can not leave one zone and go into another etc etc..it's just very difficult right now so was looking for something just to give him a bit of relief in the meantime.. untill things ease up a bit. Thankyou for the advice on shampoos that realy helps.As I say don't think it mange or the staph thing. My vet last time i took him when there wasn't a crazy virus around said he didn't know what it was and would probably have to have him on some meds for life.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi his name is actualy Herphaeastus but generaly he gets to be called baby bear lol:) coz we love him sooo much ..anyhoo trouble getting to a vet with lockdown etc as in the uk..he has a lot of spots mainly apear on his back and dissipate toward the tummy area..it's not ringworm and it's not mange prettry sure o fthis as he does not mix with other dogs and it doesn't have typical hallmarks of iether of those things..i have been around and had dogs for longer than i care to remmeber but this i never seen and it's not fleas iether ..they start of as red small bumps and then after many days and week of using special shampoo to treat spotty dogs they turn into flaky scales which come of and crusty spots but still do not go away..i have some success with slathering on sudocrem as am thinking maybe this is suffocating it if it is a mite? any help appreciated..as had heard of coconut and apple cider vinegar but is that just a load of rubbish?
Our 7 yr. old male had the same thing. I thought it was the equivalent of dog dandruff, but it never went away with any treatments we tried and his hair started falling out on those areas. Vet did scraping and found staph, common but it was a bacterial infection, requiring meds and daily bathing (not an easy feat for a 60 lb boy). But it went away after this 3 week treatment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our 7 yr. old male had the same thing. I thought it was the equivalent of dog dandruff, but it never went away with any treatments we tried and his hair started falling out on those areas. Vet did scraping and found staph, common but it was a bacterial infection, requiring meds and daily bathing (not an easy feat for a 60 lb boy). But it went away after this 3 week treatment
60lb what a bruiser lol our baby is 25 maybe 26 kg a big ol boy . Yes as I said would love to take him vets but is big problem right now due to mutant strain covid short of wearing a space suit not sure what to do as we rely on taxis to take us there there used to be a comunity car scheme for such things but it not running now.. nor are taxis..am thinking to ring the vets and see if he can do some sort of online consultation and send scraping in the post.Thanks for your input does give me some hope..though the washing is never easy with basset hounds so low to ground and a aching back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts