Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B. has a huge range of vocalizations, he grumbles while arranging his bed, hums/purrs in greeting, barks along with any sirens.

I left a friend in the car with B. last night when I ran in to the train station to pick up a ticket. When I came back out I asked if he'd behaved and she said, "He sang to me. He sang, She's gone, gone, gone!! awoo, awoo, awoo." TOO CUTE!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The range of vocalizations was surprising to me, initially. I love how Flash 'mutters' and 'grumbles' to himself while doing various things.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds

Roscoe says plenty, mostly while he and Moose are wrestling, or when he wants something. I only heard him howl once so far, when he first came home with us, and didn't trust the doggie door yet, he was in the dog room alone and howled at being abandoned.

One thing he does tho that I still haven't figured out, is that he chatters his teeth. Sort of. You can't hear his teeth, but his lips smacking together. Sometimes he does it a couple times and stops, and sometimes it goes on for a while. I can't decide if it's really teeth-chattering, from being cold, or if it's to communicate something. I can't pick up a pattern of when he does it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I miss howling or baying as neither of ours does that. Our rescue boy has a very loud monotone bark... that's it that's the only vocalization he knows and he does it often... well aside from his whine when it's storming out or his sister is in heat. Our girl... she talks but is not a big barker... occasionally when she's outside she sort of bark/howls... it's a very loud odd sound and scared the bejeezes out of me the first time I heard it come out of her. She does love to grumble and whine and talk to me all the time though and when she plays with her cousin (my in-law's rescue basset) Koko you would think they were tearing each other apart... they are so loud and rough sounding but they play like nothing else and adore each other's company.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to say that the one thing she does that really gets my goat, but makes me laugh like hell, is when I scold her and she talks back to me, like a defiant teenager. She's so sassy! We are still trying to teach her to say "out" and "I love you!" She kinda does... gosh she's such a ham, we are having a "conversation" right now as I type this:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep got to love them when they get yelled at and they walk away grumbling and mumbling under their breath just like a teenager. Too funny.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"One thing he does tho that I still haven't figured out, is that he chatters his teeth. Sort of. You can't hear his teeth, but his lips smacking together. Sometimes he does it a couple times and stops, and sometimes it goes on for a while. I can't decide if it's really teeth-chattering, from being cold, or if it's to communicate something. I can't pick up a pattern of when he does it."[/quote]

Lucy did the teeth chattering thing. We could never figure out if it was a form of communcation, an expression of anxiety or physical uncomfort. Anyone have any insight to teeth chattering in bassets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts